Need advice on "latest addition" to flock

humanpersonwoah

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2019
So we are still new-ish to keep chickens. So we started with 4 chicks which became 1 rooster and three hens...all was well until our two black hens went broody and we just let them. So skip ahead to one successful baby chick who they looked after really well for the first three or so months, now they've all kinda backed off that and just leave her by herself most of the time. She tried to be part of the flock for a bit, but they seem almost indifferent or just mean to her so now she just kinda hangs out by herself in the coop all day or just disappears until its time to roost for the night? Should I just rehome her or what? feel so bad for her

That sounds pretty normal for a single chick. They are social animals and want to be with other chickens. But after the broody weans them they are on their own. The adults often don't want to have anything to do with them and they don't have any their own age to hang around with.

Once that pullet matures enough to join the pecking order, usually about the time mine start laying, she should become a full member of the flock. Until then she will likely be an outcast. When you hatch eggs you don't know how many will hatch or what sex they will be but this is why that I suggest a minimum of three when you have a choice. With three, even if one dies they still have a buddy.

If she is not being injured she will be OK in the long term. I don't know where you would rehome her that would be a better situation. Integrating a single chicken can be a bit harder than integrating a few for the same reason. She's not likely to have any buddies there until she matures.

That sounds pretty normal for a single chick. They are social animals and want to be with other chickens. But after the broody weans them they are on their own. The adults often don't want to have anything to do with them and they don't have any their own age to hang around with.

Once that pullet matures enough to join the pecking order, usually about the time mine start laying, she should become a full member of the flock. Until then she will likely be an outcast. When you hatch eggs you don't know how many will hatch or what sex they will be but this is why that I suggest a minimum of three when you have a choice. With three, even if one dies they still have a buddy.

If she is not being injured she will be OK in the long term. I don't know where you would rehome her that would be a better situation. Integrating a single chicken can be a bit harder than integrating a few for the same reason. She's not likely to have any buddies there until she matures.
Thanks hopefully they let her join soon...it's sad to see her in the coop hiding all day, I'm not even sure she comes out to eat or drink...but hopefully she is sneaking out for some water and food.

Thanks hopefully they let her join soon...it's sad to see her in the coop hiding all day, I'm not even sure she comes out to eat or drink...but hopefully she is sneaking out for some water and food.

Make sure that you have more then one feeder and that the chickens at one feeder can't see the ones at the other feeder.

I have this large feeder , 20 kg.. its good because its round so chinkes often have no clue who is eating on the other side, for me this types of feeder Works the best!

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_183535.jpg
    IMG_20210121_183535.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1
Make sure that you have more then one feeder and that the chickens at one feeder can't see the ones at the other feeder.
She is the only one staying in the coop near food and water, the rest of the flock range all over the place until dusk. They drink out of the pond behind our house and barley ever eat their feed:D

Back
Top Bottom