Need advice on making a roost in my coop

Masonfamily

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
California
Hello,

Building my first coop. It is a simple 4x8 floor plan with 4' high walls on one side coming down to a 3' high wall on the other and then it will have 4 nesting boxes located on the 3' high wall. Question, how high do I make the roosts off the floor? Will making it out of a 2x2 be ok? How long should I make it? I can make it anywhere from 4 to 8 feet. Lastly, how far away from the wall does one place a roost?

Darin

I used a 2x4 flat side down I put it about 10 inches off the wall my coop is similar to yours not a lot of headroom my roosts are tall enough so the girls can walk under them it hasn't been a problem at all.

Thank you...mine is tall enough for chickens to walk around, just not humans! ;-)

I have it such that one side, the none nesting side, can be opened up along the wall to be cleaned out. The nesting boxes can be opened from the top. I started it yesterday, building the bottom portion (Legs attached to the floor with re-enforcements). If I get home early enough today, I will start on the walls. Using 2x2's for the walls, will get 4x8 siding that I used when I built my storage shed. Nothing fancy.

Kids can't wait for me to complete it and get some chickens.

Sounds like it's the same setup I have down to the door and nest box.I did put an automatic door on a timer best thing ever. Good luck

How did you go about putting an automatic timer on the door? How did you build the door, pull up or swing out? Like to see pics of that...

It's a pull up door, I bought the d20 add a motor chicken door opener. Timer needs 2 on and 2 off settings. Opens at 5:30am and closes at 9:00pm.Just a simple lamp timer.There are a lot of videos on YouTube on this motor.I got mine on ebay.

thats awesome. your whole set up looks pretty tight. I enjoy seeing them into the coop, however. Its one of my favorite things. They see me coming and head for the door, single file. (they get yogurt treats with chopped up frozen fruit every night) On the way back in, i pick up the hummingbird feeders, and put them in the fridge. (ants)

I think you might have to many nest Boxes. I have 5 chicken and they all seem to like 1. I would have 2 unless you plan to allow a chicken to become broody.

Yes, probably too many nest boxes but I am building for a larger flock. At 4x8 I can have up to 8 chickens in it, I am starting off with 4. Planning for the future! ;-)

The advice from everyone has been great, love the automatic door opener. Any other advice is always welcome, I just started building the walls this AM before work. Will have more time this weekend to continue building.

Back
Top Bottom