Need advice on moving my Cornish X's outside

Mikedero

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Watertown CT
Ok so today my Chickens are 3 weeks old and putting on some big time weight. I want to move them outside in my chicken tractor but it still gets around 40-45 degrees out at night.

Can I still put them out and just put a heat Lamp in there? Currently they are in the basement with no heat lamp as it is about 70-75 degrees in there and they seem fine

they are almost fully feathered, I have been feedinging them for the past week 12 hours on and 12 hours off but they are starting to stink like I never smelled that much poop all at once.

I am going to process a few next week for some cornish game hen sized

Put em out! They'll do fine :) I like to put them out in the morning on a sunny day, once it has warmed up, say around 9 or 10 am. That way they have the whole day to adjust. At night, I throw a tarp over the whole chicken tractor to stop draughts for the first 2 or 3 nights. After that, they have acclimated. Forget the heat lamp, you don't need it anymore. Its their feathers that really keep them warm, and if you keep them in the brood space much longer, the feather quality will start to decline due to humidity and dirtiness. Salatin says they can manage below freezing by 3 weeks.

Just wait til you see how happy they are outside! And they will really put on weight once they are on pasture. And the feathers will get better too :)

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom