Need advice on Muscovy duck!

Crest coming up can mean he is happy too. or flirting with you.Or if he sees another drake the mohawk can come up. Tail wagging is a happy thing all mine do it but my drake more so. That's sad they left him behind but your gain actually they are wonderful birds. I have never had a drake go after any of my hens[chickens] but they have always had females. If you suspect at all that he maybe trying to mate with them you'll need to separate him from them quick drakes can kill a hen they are not made the same to mate with each other. And this time of year hormones are beginning to surge. oh and if you don't have a rooster your hens will flatten out for him too. I've seen my hens being submissive to my geese. which is crazy because they do not like my chickens but their hormones get wacky too. They will even flatten out for me. silly hens. Maybe try one female duck at a time. Muscovy's seem to be easy to find. I just want you to have a pleasant enjoyable time with this drake no telling what he went through living with this other person. He would have most likely been put down if they had taken him to an animal shelter. My ducks eat the same thing as my chickens and geese all flock over winter when laying is down and layer in late winter when laying starts back up full time. Mine love thawed peas and dried meal worms my chickens go nuts for them.
Thanks:) So far, the chickens are still scared of the duck (they must think its weird to have a giant cackling monster looming in front of them :,D ) but they are still talking to eachother. I will definately keep an eye on them though:) Also, is it alright feeding the duck fruit? He really loves banana.

Thanks:) So far, the chickens are still scared of the duck (they must think its weird to have a giant cackling monster looming in front of them :,D ) but they are still talking to eachother. I will definately keep an eye on them though:) Also, is it alright feeding the duck fruit? He really loves banana.
Yes just don't over do it's important he eat the feed formulated for poultry that is where he gets his over all nutrients. Bananas ? well I will have to try them on mine, I know mine love grapes.

Back
Top Bottom