need advice on new baby chicks

Wanted to update on baby chick. I can't believe it but this little chick is back with the flock! I never though she would make it. I fed her and gave her vitamins and vitamin E, electrolytes and lots of TLC. This girl has a will to live. It seems she has no problems coming back to the flock.Thank you all for some great advice. I still watch her closely since I don't think she is completely out of the woods.

I have some questions I hope you can help with. When she was back with girls she still looks like she did one week ago which I am not surprise for all she went through but all she did was stick her head in the crumbles and eat, eat eat. At least her head was in the food. I don't actually know if she is eating I am still giving her mesh and electrolytes and ACV with syringe. I have not really seen her drinking either but I am not there 24/7. When I was feeding her (when she got better) she was eating like there was no tomorrow. She has kinda calmed down and not so starving. But yesterday I notice she had a soft lump in her chest area. Could this be impacted crop? I have read both sides that say they can't get it this young and others say yes. Could this be because she has eaten so much lately to caught up? I have been rubbing it, giving her yogurt and ACV. I have heard olive oil??? If so how much? Should I be concern? She is acting fine and has energy! She also softly chirps alot. Does this mean happy or what? Now I am so concerned with this little girl since she has been through so much!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds more like a full crop. Check the size of the lump first thing in the morning ( before they have had acces to food ) . Good to hear that your little one is doing so well. As there is a chance that there may have been a thiamine deficieiency be careful not to feed medicated crumble. ( amprolium ) as this product is a thiamine blocker.

I do have them on medicated feed since they have no been vaccinated for cocci. Should I switch? Should I take their food away at night or separate her and take it away from her? Do I still feed her mesh that I make her? Doesn't Poly V sol take care of the Thiamine? So is full crop a bad thing? I think when she finally felt better she was starving. Maybe she just over ate?

I do have them on medicated feed since they have no been vaccinated for cocci. Should I switch? Should I take their food away at night or separate her and take it away from her? Do I still feed her mesh that I make her? Doesn't Poly V sol take care of the Thiamine? So is full crop a bad thing? I think when she finally felt better she was starving. Maybe she just over ate?

I would remove the medicated feed. Even though you are giving her B1 the amprolium will be going some way to negate that. They don't eat at night so just go out early and feel the crop. Be sure there is plenty of clean fresh water.

Woke up this morning and her crop was not full. I think she just over ate since she was so hungry after everything this poor little one has been through. Now she just needs to grow!

Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom