Need advice on new coop

chickers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Gold Country California
I need advice on buying a coop. My husband and I would take forever to build one ourselves and I need one in May when I'm getting some more pullets. There is someone nearby that builds coops and we went to look at them today. Here's a picture of the one I'm interested in:

And one of the inside:

The coop is 6' x 10'. As you can see, it's meant to be both a coop and run, but I really only need a coop since we already have 450 square foot run. I was thinking that the wired end would be nice for air flow in summer and could be covered with plywood panels and plexiglas windows in winter. There is some ventilation near the roof that you can't see in these pictures as well. Of course, I'd also need to add a pop door as well.

My current coop is a Ware Chick-n House so this would be a huge improvement. I currently only have three chickens, but would like more. ;)

I should probably also add that, despite the good-sized run, my chickens rarely leave their tiny coop. We had a hawk kill a chicken a couple months ago and my head hen steadfastly refuses to leave the coop for any length of time unless I'm out there. I'm hoping that a partially open coop with an obvious roof should help her adjust to the outdoors again. (My run is covered--the hawk attacked when they were out free-roaming--but I can't expalin to a chicken that the wire over her is enough to protect her.)

If you've gotten this far, thank you. :) My questions are:

1. Does this seem like a reasonable coop?

2. This coop has a open bottom. It has a treated wood frame on the bottom and I plan to place it on a frame of stepping stones to keep it off the ground. I can make it predator proof, but will it be too damp in winter? I plan to use the deep litter method.

3. I live in the Gold country of California. It's certainly not Alaska, but we do get some snow in the winter. I plan to have about 10 chickens in the coop. In good weather, I feed and water them in the run, but I want to be able to feed and water them inside in bad weather.

Antoehr alternative would be small Tuff Shed, but I like this coop more.

Thanks for any help making this decision!

i love the coop! i wish i could have a set up like that in my yard.
Is it wired for electricity? That would be a nice perk.
I would make sure to add a coat or two of waterproofing every yr even if it is off the ground. It would last alot longer that way.

1st how many chickens do have. 2nd I went to Google and typed in free coop designs and I then proceeded to click on the coop designs on the site backyardchickens.com, in my case I needed a medium coop. I needed that size because I'm getting 9 baby chicks coming on the 19th of may.
good luck with your coop!;)

It looks just fine to me for ten chickens and plenty of space for them. I get plenty of snow but my chickens don't mind. As far as the wetness it depends where you coop sits and you can always add dirt or ditches to help water stay away from it. And with the covered "mini run" you can leave feed and water out and the chickens won't mind.

i love the coop! i wish i could have a set up like that in my yard.
Is it wired for electricity? That would be a nice perk.
I would make sure to add a coat or two of waterproofing every yr even if it is off the ground. It would last alot longer that way

I should have mentioned that I'm going to paint it inside and out. The one in the picture is stained, but I prefer paint.

I have thought about wiring it, but I think that's jsut wishful thinking on my part.
smile.png
I don't need heat in the coop where we are, and I can take out fresh water in the morning.

Let me first say that I am a newby.....the things that I would change for my coop is the run or coop is tall enough so I dont have to bend over...can you walk inside the coop with ease? Enough ventilation as well as enough shelter to make sure chickens/baby chicks are warm/well ventilated with air? I have electricity and in the winter months of the south..that was a God send!! Is it large enough to take care of the amount of chickens you ever thought you would want to have (making one good purchase do and not multiple purchases as I have done with hutches, etc)? Do you want a moveable tractor coop or are you okay with a stationary coop (There are times when I wished I had a tractor coop...mines is stationary)....These are just questions that I have asked myself or wanted AFTER the purchase of my coop...just something for you to consider..... Good luck...the coop looks nice to me!!!!

that is a great coop, I think any chicken would be happy with it.it has alot of features you won't get with a utility shed.
to encourag your cickens to go out side again can you provide them with some bushes and/shrubbery? It could be potted plants but something to let them think they have cover..just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom