Need advice on new duckling!!

jennifer81

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Can a duck stay in the incubator for 24 hours like a chick? It is a preset one, runs at about 100 degrees. I don't want to go to bed and leave it in there if it's too hot for it. Its feathers have fluffed out a lot, but it's not completely dry. I have the brooder box ready, is it better to go ahead and move it?

I have never had a duck before and want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.

Thanks! :)

Oh, and it hatched sometime before 3:00 this afternoon so it's only been at least 6 hours since it hatched.

I've never hatched either, but we did pickup ours from Ideal on hatch day. It is my experience that as long as they have water, temperature is not as critical as some would have you think. I saw the temps in their brooder box range from a high of 105° to a low of 78° in the first week. We lost two to my stupidity/inexperience, but none to temperature. They're all doing fine at 2½ months.

If you have others in process of hatching leave it where it is. It will be fine for up to 72 hours due to the fact that is is feeding off of absorbed yolk just like the chicks do. If you open your bator you could lose humidity & shrink wrap the others. If this is the only hatchling &/or no one else has pipped you are fine to move it.

If you have others in process of hatching leave it where it is. It will be fine for up to 72 hours due to the fact that is is feeding off of absorbed yolk just like the chicks do. If you open your bator you could lose humidity & shrink wrap the others. If this is the only hatchling &/or no one else has pipped you are fine to move it.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom