Need advice on Pekin injuries.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I have 2 ducks in basement sick bay, the first is Scuba she has a large bumble, which is somewhat straightforward, i plan to do some nightly soaks and daily packs with triple antibiotic and a duck boot while keeping her quiet in the basement, then i will evaluate operating, should i be giving an antibiotic as well? .
The second is Winston he can barely walk, no evidence of bumblefoot but he sits down about every 3rd step unless he tries to run in which case he falls down, wherever he goes he is using the assistance of his wings flapping to help him along and stabilize himself. He is in there as well for observation.
Trouble started about a week or so ago with him, about when it started getting colder. He had quite a summer for acrobatics. While in drake jail he twice scaled the 5’ page wire garden fence only to land with all the grace and style of a 13lb water baloon. Then after that wasn’t working I put him in a small pen to be closer to his womenz he managed, luckily while i was outside, to get his neck wedged between the bars and proceeded to flap and panic. He couldn’t hold his head up at all for several hours, next day he seemed better. Then there is his cross country prowess attempting to mate the same hen over and over again.
All in all I think it has been a rough summer for the big guy.
Advise on what to look for would be great, should i be supplementing B complex? Currently they are on Dumor all flock with calcium available for the ladies. Free feed 24/7 , I would not say any are wildly overweight, he is just a big bird.

Attachments

• 3F5B4E79-02F3-4618-A400-739D88888F84.jpeg
    3F5B4E79-02F3-4618-A400-739D88888F84.jpeg
    833.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Your plans for scuba's care are good.

Poor Winston!! I have airhead Pekin drakes that get into similar scrapes as winston. One got himself stuck through the bars of a dogcrate when trying to get at the drake confined there.

How to manage Winston's current issue. Yes keep him quiet and under observation in your basement. Yes treat him with high dose Vit B Complex [Durvet]1ml orally, daily.

Are you able to feel and move all his foot and leg joints including his hip joints. He has possibly strained muscles or joints during one of his escapades. How is he in a deep tub of water? Can he swim around moving both his legs? He might feel better with daily epsom salt soaks. Use a deep bucket so that he stands in the epsom salts solution but cannot drink it.

How old is he?

Good luck

I agree with @ruthhope
With Pekin they tend to need the extra niacin
My pekin girl is on the smaller side but I see her struggle much more then any others when running
As babies I use 1 tbs nutritional yeast to 1 cup feed
As teens and adults I don’t measure but add it to the feed a few times a week. Now that winter is here I’m giving it daily. I see my girl limping a few times after a run in the cold
Nothing that lasts long but still enough to catch my eye
With him having trouble standing if it is niacin issue you will want to use the B complex as @ruthhope has said and may need it done for weeks to see improvements then I would also start adding nutritional yeast to the feed as well
For your girl if there is infection then starting meds would help but I myself haven’t dealt with bumble yet so I will tag @Miss Lydia
Others may pop on before morning to help as miss Lydia won’t see the tag till then

Your plans for scuba's care are good.

Poor Winston!! I have airhead Pekin drakes that get into similar scrapes as winston. One got himself stuck through the bars of a dogcrate when trying to get at the drake confined there.

How to manage Winston's current issue. Yes keep him quiet and under observation in your basement. Yes treat him with high dose Vit B Complex [Durvet]1ml orally, daily.

Are you able to feel and move all his foot and leg joints including his hip joints. He has possibly strained muscles or joints during one of his escapades. How is he in a deep tub of water? Can he swim around moving both his legs? He might feel better with daily epsom salt soaks. Use a deep bucket so that he stands in the epsom salts solution but cannot drink it.

How old is he?

Good luck
They both will be 3 in March, scuba has always been slow on land and prefers hanging out in her pool since day 1 of water, shes by far the sweetest duck I have and gets on well with everyone else, best with people too.

If you can get a good picture of Scuba's bumble that will help. Not all bumbles need to be treated with antibiotics especially if they are encapsulated so the antibiotic can't get to the infection. So Epsom salt soaks and when soft enough gently remove the scab so you can pick the infection out. Then pack with some type of antibiotic ointment wrap and give it time to heal.

If you can get a good picture of Scuba's bumble that will help. Not all bumbles need to be treated with antibiotics especially if they are encapsulated so the antibiotic can't get to the infection. So Epsom salt soaks and when soft enough gently remove the scab so you can pick the infection out. Then pack with some type of antibiotic ointment wrap and give it time to heal.
I will tonight, i am ashamed of myself that it got this bad. With a new baby and a 200% work schedule I have not been as attentive as I should be, everything is done on the run.
I worked on it this summer and thought i had it cured, apparently not. It is big now and i hope it will do as you say. My thoughts with ointment were as much to soften as anything else, maybe bag balm would be a better option?

Hopefully soaking and ointment and wraps will work to soften it so you can get the scab off. If you feel the infection has spread into joints then an antibiotic would be a good idea. Most can be bought online.

Congrats on the new baby. We all understand how life can get in the way, Hopefully with some work you can get scuba back to normal.

and for Winston I'd def get him on the Liquid B complex and lots of good rest. if he feels the need to get over the fences clip his wings for his own good.

Back
Top Bottom