Need advice on rescuing rooster

It makes me sick just thinking about what that poor bird had to go through. What a blockhead!
I hope he gets better.
It’s amazing that yous saves his life from that grim man.
Now that I've done what all I could think to do, my anger at that blockhead is coming to surface. I actual thought about unleashing some of my excess eggs at him. They knew they were wrong for keeping him that way and they left before I got there. If they had just let me buy him on Saturday, he wouldn't be going through this now.

Aloha, Thank you so much for helping him. I found my rooster hit on the road, had been dragged by a car, and was pretty badly wounded. I would say Spike needs a broad spectrum antibiotic from the vet, that is administered orally. I am not sure the amounts in the food or water - the concentration that is - will be high enough. I am a microbiologist, so its good to take care of puncture wounds as fast as possible, with stronger antibiotics. If you can and have a bird vet who would help you, it might be good to take him. Bathing is good too, at least his wounds, salt water would help to kill bug larvae, microbes, and help the healing process. I gave Mr. Rooster a salt water bath to get rid of his bird lice - there is a "recipe" online as a natural remedy for bird lice. If you just did the salt water part of the bath that would be good. They are very good at cleaning wounds too on their own. I don't know how bad his injured leg is, but if its bad, you can wrap him snugly in a towel and put him in a carrier/cage with a towel over it to keep it dark - this will discourage him walking on it, if you think he needs to let it rest for a few days. The vet could also give you a bit of mild pain killer, which can help him heal, if its given to him for say 2-3 days, just to help him get over the hurdle. We gave Mr. Rooster a little bit of pain medicine at night for about week, and he could not walk at all, had road burns, etc. And, I think a bit of time outside each day to see the girls is especially helpful, and most of all, if you let him know that he is in a loving environment, he will fight to live now. :) And, he will likely be your best friend for the rest of his life. My guy is, and he has always trusted me. Hope some of that might be useful. My vet only charged me 25 dollars because it was rescue. She loves chickens.

Aloha, one other thing - I completely agree with previous post that he needs to be inside, accept for short visits to see hens. I had a walk in closet that was quiet, could be dark if I shut the door, so that is where Mr. Rooster slept at night when he was first at the house and injured. Kept things calm and quiet, and clean. He needs to be able to sleep soundly, no outside noises at night, and since he has been abused, it may be stressful for him if he can hear the dog or that awful man who should be arrested for animal abuse, quite frankly. Mr. Rooster still gets nervous or kind of ducks if he hears a car go by - luckily that does not happen much. Its not a big deal to have them in the house. Just make sure you and kids are washing hands after you handle him or after cleaning his cage. Of course! :)

Spike has made it though his first night here He's not as perky as yesterday but it's time for more antibiotic so I'm sure that's why. I'm giving him 150 mg amox in about a tbsp of mashed banana or apple sauce twice a day (the goal being to get at least over 100mg in him) and using surgical wash on his wounds and rinsing with plain water after a few minutes.
Vets around here usually won't treat chickens so I don't know what I can give him for pain but I do have some possible options on hand. I would want to give him something before I more aggressively scrub out his wounds. Our only tractor supply is a county away so I'm off to see what they have and post on their board if anyone there has a vet who might take a look at him.
I actually live several miles away from where we found Spike. I take care of several animals in that neighborhood at a few different homes throughout the year. Several of the neighbors have gotten to know us and a few called me when they couldn't talk any sense into the jerk who had Spike. One even offered to help pay for any expenses we have for taking him in-but we are kinda on a urban minifarm with several acres so we should already have everything he needs. He will never have to see that man or dog again!

Poor sweet Spike has passed :hitWe had cleaned him up this morning and he was alert but could not get him to eat. I found a vet willing to give me some prefilled antibiotic injection for him but he had declined so much, he was barely breathing. I'm hugging my little helpers reminding them they made his last night so special and made him as comfortable as possible. Thank you everyone for your advice to help us give him that.

Poor sweet Spike has passed :hitWe had cleaned him up this morning and he was alert but could not get him to eat. I found a vet willing to give me some prefilled antibiotic injection for him but he had declined so much, he was barely breathing. I'm hugging my little helpers reminding them they made his last night so special and made him as comfortable as possible. Thank you everyone for your advice to help us give him that.
I’m so sorry that Spike passed. :hugs
At least he knew human kindness and love before he left this world.

Aloha, I am very sad to hear that he passed - but I am sure you did all that you could. Quite sure. I am crying with you guys. Please tell your kids I said thank you for trying to help him. And thank you for trying to get him some help at a vet. At least we tried. :)

Back
Top Bottom