need advice on shipping eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TurtleChick, Nov 10, 2008.

1. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    hi all!

(mods, i wasn't sure where exactly to post this, so thank you in advance for moving it if i was dumb and didn't post where it belongs! [​IMG] )

i need to ship a few eggs and want to make sure you guys think they'll make it intact! you may think i'm crazy, but i'm actually shipping infertile eggs from our 4laying hens! hee hee - i'm sending them to my dad who is recovering from hip surgery. he teases me (in a good way) constantly about the peeps and their eggs, and i thought it would be a nice gift since i can't be there to help him out! so off go a dozen "farm" fresh eggs to my daddy! [​IMG]

i plan on wrapping them individually in bubble wrap and stuffing them back into a carton (if i can get them to fit - sometimes they don't fit UNwrapped...), and then bubble wrapping the carton and putting it into a box filled with packing peanuts. then overnighting it. think they'll make it? (oh, and waiting til wednesday to send, so that he'll have them next day.)

thanks all!!!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Should work out just fine. The weather is cool enough they will make it okay to eat. I don't refrige my eating eggs for here at home for over a week, they stay on my kitchen counters. All my egg customers know this and I have no problems.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I wouldn't spend the money to overnight them. I think priority mail would work out fine for you.

Good luck!

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    heehee... I sometimes ship some of my produce down to my mom in Southern California. It makes NO sense money-wise, but she really appreciates it [​IMG]
    nothing like home-grown food from a daughter to make a mom or dad all mushy and happy...

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We ship alot of hatching eggs and this is how we do it

2 layers of 3/4 inch bubble wrap on the bottom of the box
    about 2 to 3 inches of packing peanuts over that
    Wrap each egg in 3/16 inch bubble (a whole foot square sheet)
    packing peanuts all around the outside of the eggs and on top
    2 layers of 3/4 bubble wrap on top.

make sure the eggs are packed tight so the can't move around. We have been shipping eggs for years and its very very rare to have one broke. Also use a "standard" size shipping box from the post office or ebay. They seem to go thru the PO better, I think they get handled less because they can go thru the sorting machines etc.

Steve in NC

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I just sent some to my friend in New York--she'd never had green eggs and ham before, lol so had to send some of my EE's & Marans too.
    I wrapped each one in a piece of paper towel & fit it in the carton. Then I bubblewrapped the carton a couple of times & taped that down.
    I put it in a box with some of those air-filled pouches & styrofoam peanuts. Everything made the trip just fine!

7. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    thanks all! and i'm sure my dad will thank you, too!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by