Need advice on "Sick" Chickens and next steps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SLChick, Oct 4, 2016.

1. SLChick

SLChick New Egg

Oct 4, 2016
    I'm a newbie to raising chickens and need some advice. We currently have 9 hens. After a predator got two of our girls, we brought in two more from a gal who was getting rid of her flock. In hindsight, and learning through this forum, I realize that was a big mistake. Approx. a month after getting these two, our chickens started to sneeze, appeared lethargic, stop laying eggs, and some had goopy eyes. They continued to eat and drink...but not as much as normally. We treated with Tylan orally. They seemed to improve, and them began molting. A week after the last dose, we found one chicken dead in the coop. I was concerned that we would find more, but so far no others have passed in a month. However, a few girls are starting to sneeze again. I notice that about a week ago. They are eating a drinking great and there doesn't seem to be any goopy eyes (yet). Since original onset, egg production is still low. I may find and egg or two total each week. I can't seem to find anyone nearby that does testing. I have had a healthy flock, with great egg production (even in winter) for a year and a half prior to this illness.

I have read quite a bit about the variety of respiratory issues they could be facing. Although I love my girls so much...I want to be a responsible chicken owner, and I know the benefits of having a healthy flock and the risks for keeping unhealthy hens. Also, I'm not sure my family will ever eat another egg from them...they are wigged out by the thought the chickens being sick. My question is...Should I keep the chickens, continue to try to find a testing facility, and try to treat them? OR Should cull my flock, clean the coup and yard well, let sit over winter, and start fresh in the Spring? I don't want to give up on them, but I also don't want ill chickens that could potentially pass their illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by