Need advice on weak/sick chick

chfriedmam

Songster
8 Years
Dec 20, 2015
North Hollywood, CA
Hi, I realize the chances are this chick might not make it, but I keep wondering if it is just a leg problem or a temporary wing thing. Anyways, pics below. This chick is a week old, arrived looking fine and the others are looking fine. I separated it from the others yesterday bc it isn't accessing food and water and was getting trampled.

It is constantly holding the left wing, but to a certain extent both, out. Yesterday I fed it lots of electrolyte/sugar water and it was standing up nicely at times. But then it would plop back down. It isn't standing up today. This am it ate food I spilled near it, but it isn't moving over and drinking, I have to dip its beak. Both legs can extend, and toes on both feet can relax or clench at times. If I pick up its body into a stand, it moves its wing in a bit, but not into a real tight position as it should be. I checked this because I'm wondering if it's more of a splayed leg issue and the wing is out to keep balance. I gently extended and bent that left wing and felt up it, and I do not feel anything OBVIOUSLY broken to me, but I also wonder if I should sling it to the bird's body bc it might be broken, but again, the bird does flex it sometimes.

Part of me is thinking this chick can't make it to water, this chick should be allowed to die. But if I will dip the beak for another day and if someone has any ideas on what might be going on, let me know. ty

PXL_20220615_192115482.jpg PXL_20220615_192213788.jpg PXL_20220615_192144317.jpg PXL_20220615_192054658.jpg PXL_20220615_192104560.jpg PXL_20220615_192213788.jpg

Hi, I realize the chances are this chick might not make it, but I keep wondering if it is just a leg problem or a temporary wing thing. Anyways, pics below. This chick is a week old, arrived looking fine and the others are looking fine. I separated it from the others yesterday bc it isn't accessing food and water and was getting trampled.

It is constantly holding the left wing, but to a certain extent both, out. Yesterday I fed it lots of electrolyte/sugar water and it was standing up nicely at times. But then it would plop back down. It isn't standing up today. This am it ate food I spilled near it, but it isn't moving over and drinking, I have to dip its beak. Both legs can extend, and toes on both feet can relax or clench at times. If I pick up its body into a stand, it moves its wing in a bit, but not into a real tight position as it should be. I checked this because I'm wondering if it's more of a splayed leg issue and the wing is out to keep balance. I gently extended and bent that left wing and felt up it, and I do not feel anything OBVIOUSLY broken to me, but I also wonder if I should sling it to the bird's body bc it might be broken, but again, the bird does flex it sometimes.

Part of me is thinking this chick can't make it to water, this chick should be allowed to die. But if I will dip the beak for another day and if someone has any ideas on what might be going on, let me know. ty

View attachment 3149600 View attachment 3149601View attachment 3149602View attachment 3149603View attachment 3149604View attachment 3149601
Im sorry im not sure about this exactly, but I know I had a duckling who was extremely weak and I had to force feed him for a while so he could get stronger. Hoping this little chick feels better!

Are it’s toes always curled? If they are you could try to cut out a card board oval out in the shape of its foot and some how secure it so that it’s toes can’t get curled. You can also try some cooked egg mixed with water. I’m not sure if this makes sense I’m sorry if it did not.

Im sorry im not sure about this exactly, but I know I had a duckling who was extremely weak and I had to force feed him for a while so he could get stronger. Hoping this little chick feels better!
ty, ya this chick doesn't really seem "sick" per se. for now I'm going to keep making sure it eats and drinks and I'll see what happens.

Are it’s toes always curled? If they are you could try to cut out a card board oval out in the shape of its foot and some how secure it so that it’s toes can’t get curled. You can also try some cooked egg mixed with water. I’m not sure if this makes sense I’m sorry if it did not.
ya, no the toes aren't always curled.

View attachment 3149600 View attachment 3149601View attachment 3149602View attachment 3149603View attachment 3149604View attachment 3149601
I've had two ducklings almost the exact same as you. they would not move,eat or drink alone. They were extremely weak. I kept on feeding them both multiple times a day and separated them from their siblings so they could have their own food. After around a week of feeding them one of them started gaining strength and eating/drinking/walking on his own. The other one sadly passed away but I think him/her hatched prematurely and that was probably the reason for it. Hope your little chick does well!

I've had two ducklings almost the exact same as you. they would not move,eat or drink alone. They were extremely weak. I kept on feeding them both multiple times a day and separated them from their siblings so they could have their own food. After around a week of feeding them one of them started gaining strength and eating/drinking/walking on his own. The other one sadly passed away but I think him/her hatched prematurely and that was probably the reason for it. Hope your little chick does well!
I went ahead and tried to wrap legs as for straddle leg, as it seems an issue with standing. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom