Need advice on wethering

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
I have a five month old Nigerian buckling who needs to be wethered. It was put off for a variety of reasons. I have an emasculatome and may have someone to hold him (depends on whether the BF chickens out). What are the odds that it will take at this late date? Talking the BF into doing it twice is a longshot.

I would talk to a vet for definitive advice before doing it. That way you could be aware of any potential "late date" complications. My Boer was banded at approx. 3 months when I bought him (which I'm told was a little late) but had no problems. Good luck!

I don't 'do' emasculators, so I can't advise to them. You could band him, no problem. If he's well endowed, he might require a calf bander...

I would assume the emasculator would be fine. Just bear in mind they don't always take on the first try, even on younger boys...so be prepared to do it over.

I band mine but i band waay younger than that. I think at that age, esp if hes a pet, id go with a vet castration. At 5 months they are pretty big..bigger than a calfs at the age they are banded.

Thanks. Banding isn't my first choice. The vet wants $128 to surgically castrate him. He is very well endowed and I really suspect the emasculator will take a couple of tries. I don't like that option either. I seem to have an avoidance-avoidance-avoidance conflict. Anyone know a good way to restrain him and use the device without help?

if you band him this late, usually they do it when they are very young, you may have to worry about flies...in the warm weather.
I have heard some bad stories about late banding, and castrating. I would research it, maybe if you can't find answers here try a goat message board, like http://thegoatspot.net
I have found pretty good advice there.

I wouldn't take the chance. I take my boys to the vet at that age. Its about 30.00 dollars and I pick them up in about an hour. I have not had a bad experience yet. Knock on wood. Do some reasearch and you will come up with the right way. Good luck on your choice.

I usually band my boys at 7 to 8 weeks of age but had 1 that I wasnt sure I was going to sell as a buck and changed my mind. I banded him at 4 mths and he was pretty big also and so I used my calf bander and havent had any problems with him at all and we have lots of flys here. Ask around and see if someone has a calf bander and it will work and do make sure he has had his Tetanus shot also. I did my buckling about 2 wks ago and his is almost ready to drop off. I have banded bucks that were lots older too with no problems if its doen right. I dont use the Burridizoo or emasculator, banding is so much easier. Now if you opt for the vet to do it they usually castrate and leave the wound open to drain and then the fliys are a real problem. Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom