Need advice please!!!

Mama hen 722

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
I accidentally slammed one of my girls head in the gate. It messed her eyes up pretty bad I separated her from the others it's been a week ago. She can not hardly see at all I am scared to put her back in with the others. And I am concerned about her eating or drinking in the big pen she has found her food in this kennel I have her in but can she live in a small kennel and is that fair I am heart broken I want to do what is best for her I don't know what to do.

She would be happier back in the big coop. It may take awhile for thee swelling in her head to go Dave and she may regain some of her sight so I would keep her separated for now. Long term though the big coop is where she will likely want to be. Chickens are flock animals and generally don't do to well on their own. I have a black English Orpington that we acquired because she is blind and the people that had her didn't want to take care of her. She is blind in one eye and has poor vision in the other but most of the time you can't tell unless you really watch her close.

Both of her eyes look about the same

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks that gives me hope for her I really want her with the others I moved her kennel she is in close the the coop so she can talk to the others
She would be happier back in the big coop. It may take awhile for thee swelling in her head to go Dave and she may regain some of her sight so I would keep her separated for now. Long term though the big coop is where she will likely want to be. Chickens are flock animals and generally don't do to well on their own. I have a black English Orpington that we acquired because she is blind and the people that had her didn't want to take care of her. She is blind in one eye and has poor vision in the other but most of the time you can't tell unless you really watch her close.

Hi @Mama hen 722 :hugs:hugs

Can you put her kennel in the run so she can be near the others?
It sounds like if she has her own food/water in the kennel she can manage, but at least once a day - see if she needs a bit of extra help (hand feeding/watering) - I'm sure you are already doing this.

Since this is trauma, it's hard to know how well she will recover - things like this take time. If she were mine, I would put some poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin A and E in her water as well. (Vit A & E are for eye health). I believe Poultry Nutri-Drench has both. Give her some extra protein like egg or tuna too.

I wish you the best, please keep us posted.

BTW - Welcome To BYC

I was expecting much worse, not making light of it but I have seen way worse eye injuries. I do agree about keeping her close to the others and giving her a bit of extra tlc.She might recover a bit and she will compensate and learn to live with what she's got.Just keep a close eye on her make sure she's getting enough to eat and drink and not getting picked on.Chickens are pretty darn resilient so don't give up on her.

Hi @Mama hen 722 :hugs:hugs

Can you put her kennel in the run so she can be near the others?
It sounds like if she has her own food/water in the kennel she can manage, but at least once a day - see if she needs a bit of extra help (hand feeding/watering) - I'm sure you are already doing this.

Since this is trauma, it's hard to know how well she will recover - things like this take time. If she were mine, I would put some poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin A and E in her water as well. (Vit A & E are for eye health). I believe Poultry Nutri-Drench has both. Give her some extra protein like egg or tuna too.

I wish you the best, please keep us posted.

BTW - Welcome To BYC
Thank you so much for the advice. I just went outside and tried putting her in the coop to see how she would do poor baby can't see she is running into thing and of course the rooster and other hens are pecking at her that breaks my heart I can't let that happen to her my husband thinks she will be fine but it looks like abuse to me I guess that's the mama in me and since I am the one that hurt her accidentally of course I feel obligated to make it right for her

Thank you so much for the advice. I just went outside and tried putting her in the coop to see how she would do poor baby can't see she is running into thing and of course the rooster and other hens are pecking at her that breaks my heart I can't let that happen to her my husband thinks she will be fine but it looks like abuse to me I guess that's the mama in me and since I am the one that hurt her accidentally of course I feel obligated to make it right for her

Since the others are picking at her a bit, they can tell something's wrong. I would keep her kenneled. Being next to the flock will hopefully help with re-integration when the time comes. It would be expected to have some pecking, but personally I would wait until she is able to see to get away from the others and be able to properly defend herself.

Back
Top Bottom