1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need advice please--

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TerriLaChicks, Oct 20, 2008.

  1. TerriLaChicks

    TerriLaChicks Crowing

    Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Friday I had 2 eggs of 10 pip, 1 zipped & almost exploded out of the egg in about 5 minutes--btw, it never made a sound or rocked or anything. The other had been cheeping from inside the shell since the day before & it pipped & worked & worked at it, and 24 hours later it was still peeping strongly & chipping, so I took it out & dabbed some warm water gently on it & flicked a couple pieces of shell off & it came on out--no problem except it had dried out flakes of shell on it's neck. Both are fine.

    nothing out of the other eggs; no peeps no rocking, but I candled 3 last night & saw definitely signs of movement in 2 of them.

    Humidity & temps in my first homemade hatcher dropped for a couple of hours on Day 18--the thermostat went out, but I made a mad dash to the feed store & bought a 1602 still air Hovabater--only bator they had & I moved my fan from our homemade one & ran it for a few hours & the heat & humidity stabilized so I moved the eggs into it. It has stayed a steady 100-100.5 degrees and 65% humidity.

    Should I wait another day or two or try & help them hatch? I read the stickies on intervention but I still can't decide.

    These are BBS Ameracaunas, shipped eggs, on Day 23 now.
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Be patient.

    Give it until at least day 24... some say to wait till day 25.
  3. lockedhearts

    lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

    Apr 29, 2007
    I just had 3 Cochins hatch on Day 23 so I wouldn't give up on them. I am convinced the cooler nights we are getting is slowing mine down. Just leave them for a couple more days. especially if you saw movement.
  4. swtangel321

    swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

    Jul 11, 2008
    If your temps went down a few times that could/will delay the hatch !!!!! Just try not to open the bator to much as this could harm you hatch also !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: