need advice quick...ordering chicks

kimf

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Seminole County, FL
I am ordering chicks for MPC and noticed that the grow gel is free for a "single." What does that mean? How many chicks will a "single" feed? Should I order more? Thanks!!

I have not gotten it so I am not sure what "single" means. I think it is one package. Since it is free, take it and use it. But you really don't "NEED" it.

It is something that helps the shipped chicks get over the stress of shipping and supposedly has some probiotics to help it get off to a good start. Nothing wrong with that. But the vast majority of us don't use it. I've never done anything other than put the shipped chicks in a brooder and give them chick starter and water. They do fine. Some people put a little sugar in the first water to give them a bit more energy, which again hurts nothing at all and can help chicks that had a rough shipping. Just remember to clean that waterer out so the sugar water does not go sour. Other people put electrolytes or other things in the first water to give them a boost. It does not hurt them to put a supplement like that in their first water, especially if they had a rough shipping. Putting a little of the hummingbird syrup in their first water would give basically the same benefits as the sugar or electrolytes.

There are lots of things you can do to give them a bit if a better start, but they are not absolutely required. Other than the chicks pecking at chicken poop to get some probiotics, a broody hen does not give her chicks any of that. But her chicks were not shipped either so the added boost of energy does not hurt anything at all.

It is basically a supplement. A better buy is a product called Rooster Booster or the vitamin/electrolyte packet for cattle and just mix it in the water the first 3 weeks in every other fill up of the 1 gallon waterer. I do this and never have any trouble with illnesses. The packets are good but not economical.

Back
Top Bottom