need advice right now-hen-chick adoption

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
My 2 day old chicks were picking on my one day old silkie. So I separated them where they could see eachother. Didn't work. So I thought little silkie needs a mama. So I put her with my silkie hen. She was not interested. So I put her with my Jersey Giant, Henrietta. Henrietta has been sitting on golf balls for 2 weeks. I removed them and put the silkie chick in, she got lost in the big fluffy feathers, chirping away. Henrietta looked stressed for a while, then settled.
Should I leave the chick out there? Will she be okay? Will she find the food and water?

It depends on whether Henrietta has been sitting long enough to be in the last stage of broodiness (two weeks might be okay, but then again it might not) and is ready to be a mother. Sometimes, if they've not been sitting long enough and their hormones are not at the correct level, they can harm the chicks. I'd keep a very sharp eye out and watch to see if Henrietta takes an interest and if she shows the chick food and water, clucks to it, accepts it, etc.

Gawd you sound like me. I would rather be sure than leave them and find out I was wrong. Our integration with 6 weeks old chicks is going slow because of my paranoia. Better safe than sorry!

Yea I wouldn't have been able to sleep worrying that something could happen.
With my 6 weekers, they all meet while freeranging my backyard. Then in the coop I make sure I have plenty of obstacles and things to hide behind.

Back
Top Bottom