NEED ADVICE - Severe Thigh/Back Wound

LavenderCrow

Songster
7 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Tennessee
I have an Ameraucana hen who has a SEVERE thigh/back wound. It looks like it's from one of my Orpington Roosters mounting her. It essentially just flayed her side. It happened unbeknownst to me until a couple days ago, when she came to the feeder after I had set it down and it looked like she was a little bloody. I was expecting some scratches from mounting, but nothing this awful. Since then she's been in isolation. She is getting vetericyn and iodine treatments. She is eating and drinking normally, and seems to be showing no signs of pain except for being careful with that leg. She is also her normal chatty self whenever we near her, "talking" to us.

Upon further inspected, what we thought was just part of the wound is actually a flap of skin and feathers hanging off. It has dried and is stiff, with no hope of reattaching it. We can't afford to take her to a vet - I wouldn't take a chicken to the vet even if I could. Should I cut the flap of skin off myself, with sterilized scissors? It seems like an awful idea but leaving it on seems even worse. If I shouldn't, then what should I do? She's a sweet hen, I'd hate hate hate to put her down, but I will if it's for the best.

Thoughts, suggestions, ANYTHING helps!

Hi. When my Ameraucana hen got injured by a dog last summer (deep punctures to both thighs, damaged wing, skin and fat removed from back) she also had loose skin and fat hanging off. Once I had cleaned her and put her in a crate, the loose flesh dried up really close to her living skin. I read that the dead tissue should be removed to help the remaining living tissue not get infected. I wasn't confident cutting off the dead flesh when it was so close to the living, so when she really began to smell, I tried to "jerkify" the dead tissue by giving her a few different rinses with one teaspoon salt in one cup of warm water.

This greatly reduced the smell, and was only needed for a few days. That along with Vetericyn on the outside and tetracycline hydrochloride on the inside to help fight infection helped her make a full recovery. The old dead flesh eventually fell off like giant scabs, and were replaced by good tissue, even the deep muscle punctures. She even regrew her feathers!

If I had seen what you describe, thin dried flesh hanging off, I might have wanted to try sharpening and sanitizing scissors and cutting away what was no longer living, as long as it didn't make her bleed. I do know that the dead stuff on my little lady did eventually fall off. So glad your hen is eating and drinking all right! I hope the best for her. : )

Hi. When my Ameraucana hen got injured by a dog last summer (deep punctures to both thighs, damaged wing, skin and fat removed from back) she also had loose skin and fat hanging off. Once I had cleaned her and put her in a crate, the loose flesh dried up really close to her living skin. I read that the dead tissue should be removed to help the remaining living tissue not get infected. I wasn't confident cutting off the dead flesh when it was so close to the living, so when she really began to smell, I tried to "jerkify" the dead tissue by giving her a few different rinses with one teaspoon salt in one cup of warm water.

This greatly reduced the smell, and was only needed for a few days. That along with Vetericyn on the outside and tetracycline hydrochloride on the inside to help fight infection helped her make a full recovery. The old dead flesh eventually fell off like giant scabs, and were replaced by good tissue, even the deep muscle punctures. She even regrew her feathers!

If I had seen what you describe, thin dried flesh hanging off, I might have wanted to try sharpening and sanitizing scissors and cutting away what was no longer living, as long as it didn't make her bleed. I do know that the dead stuff on my little lady did eventually fall off. So glad your hen is eating and drinking all right! I hope the best for her. : )
Thank you so much! I might venture on trying to cut the skin off... I've got a nice sharp pair of kitchen shears that'll get the job done perfectly. I'm just scared of it possibly bleeding. I've got blood stop powder, but I'm not so confident on using it on such a terrible wound. Again, thank you! She's doing so well, I don't want her to take a turn for the worst and get infected.

EDIT : Went out there right after I posted this. Had my fiance hold her while I cut the dead skin and fat off (he wasn't too happy to be a part of it!). Very little bleeding, doused it with Vetericyn (that stuff is a miracle in a spray bottle!). She didn't even flinch and kept chatting at us the whole time. Chickens are such little troopers! I feel tons better now that it's off of her. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I had a chicken injured in almost the exact same areas. Mine was an Ameraucana hen who was attacked by a dog.
We took her to the vet, she had the same skin and fat problems, though not a flap. I think you made the right decision by clipping the dead stuff, considering my hen grew back a large patch of skin over her wound, I think yours should do fine.
We got a drench for the wound from the vet, to help with infection (dogs mouths are nasty) but as long as you keep her wound clean you probably won't even need that.
As long as she stays cheery, bright eyed, and active, I think she'll be just fine. Make sure she gets plenty of rest time, keep her separate from the others until it has healed enough that it won't be pecked open by the others or ripped open again by mating. She may need foods she likes to convince her to eat.
It really is amazing what chickens can survive through, good luck with keeping her healthy!

Back
Top Bottom