need advice! taking chicks away?

well the third chick never hatched in fact i dont even know where the egg went to, she ended up abandoning the nest yesterday so we made a emergency styrofoam incubator, I was lucky enough that the eggs where all still alive cause we had no idea how long she had been off them, So she just has her one chick w/ her, the other eggs have till sunday to hatch so do you think if i try to introduce the other chicks she will kill them would it be better just to raise them in the brooder i was sure hoping she would accept them. she has her one little chick with her and she is a fierce momma shes been out with her one day and i've seen her chase the cat across the yard , the dog, my rooster, she has even gone after us. Very very protective......

I am not sure what to suggest here. I don't like the idea of a lone chick, but a lone chick is better than a dead one anyday. If you questions it, keep the chick with you.*

The next chicks are only due to hatch in a week, so it's very unlikely that she'll accept them. Not saying she won't, but it's unlikely. I think play it safe and raise the chicks in a brooder and when mom weans her lone chick (usually after around 6-7 weeks) put the lone chick with the brooder babies, so it's got company.

The next chicks are only due to hatch in a week, so it's very unlikely that she'll accept them. Not saying she won't, but it's unlikely. I think play it safe and raise the chicks in a brooder and when mom weans her lone chick (usually after around 6-7 weeks) put the lone chick with the brooder babies, so it's got company.
I agree with Sumi- I had a broody that sat on several eggs. Some were quitters, but 5 did hatch. One of those I had to assist, the last one. Once it broke free of the shell, I tried to put it in with the broody and she immediately tried to kill the poor thing. She was fine with the rest and there were at least 2-3 days between hatching.
Wondering where your other egg went- strange

Back
Top Bottom