Need advice

Shaunowens

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2019
good afternoon everyone
New to farming and have some Guinea Fowl. They have been roosting on my farm but have started going across the main road to the woods. Yesterday I noticed 1 did not come back. This morning the others went across road and all were together agian. The whole flock was together all day till tonight. They went back across street 1 guniea did not return again. The others are back on farm roosting. They have always stayed together & came back as a group to roost in tree at night except for the past couple nights. Trying to figure out what’s going on and why 1 is not coming back any help would be appreciated

Do you have a coop for them to stay in at night? If they are unprotected you will gradually loose all of them to nighttime predators. Not sure why one is getting separated, they usually want to stay with the flock.
Yes I have two separate coops for them to stay in with chicken wire around them. But they prefer to stay in are front yard tree.

I completely agree with @CatWhisperer that a very proficient predator is most likely cutting one bird per day out of the flock for a nice meal. Any of us that free range our flocks expect to be hit by a predator from time to time. What's most unlikely is that these individual missing birds somehow wandered away and/or got lost.

Is it just one who isn't returning, or is it one each day? I would think it's very likely that a predator of some sort is getting them if it's more than one.
If it's just one who isn't coming back, then I suppose it could be a hen trying to set eggs somewhere over there.
Do you have a neighbor over across the woods who might be starting himself a collection of free guineas? :idunno

good afternoon everyone
New to farming and have some Guinea Fowl. They have been roosting on my farm but have started going across the main road to the woods. Yesterday I noticed 1 did not come back. This morning the others went across road and all were together again. The whole flock was together all day till tonight. They went back across street 1 guinea did not return again. The others are back on farm roosting. They have always stayed together & came back as a group to roost in tree at night except for the past couple nights. Trying to figure out what’s going on and why 1 is not coming back any help would be appreciated
:welcome
As @chrissynemetz pointed out, if it is just the one that is not coming back at night, she is sitting on a hidden nest. You are most likely going to lose her to a predator. The odds of a hen surviving 28 days sitting on a nest in an area that is not predator proof at night are not very good.

Last edited:
Is it just one who isn't returning, or is it one each day? I would think it's very likely that a predator of some sort is getting them if it's more than one.
If it's just one who isn't coming back, then I suppose it could be a hen trying to set eggs somewhere over there.
Do you have a neighbor over across the woods who might be starting himself a collection of free guineas? :idunno
Yes it’s just 1 that is not returning at night but in the morning she returns to my property with the others. She hangs out all day then disappears at night agian. Also no there are no neighbors by me.

Back
Top Bottom