Need advice

OOPS ... I forgot to post this yesterday :rolleyes:

PolyVisol without the iron is what you got? I can't seem to find any here (HI). Riboflavin is B2 ... A friend's hatch got curly toes so I have got it started on Poultry Cell & boiled egg yolk with some feed. I got the toes taped, we're on Day 2 I've had it ... Still stumbling around but standing & attempting to walk. I'm "exercising" it in a cup, I've seen where someone cured splayed legs this way. It does seem to strengthen the legs & works the feet/toes. You may want to try the cup instead of the sling, I was too lazy to try that.
I'll tag others, they may be of more help ... Thank you in advance for any advice here
*** Those I tagged have been removed as they have responded ;)

UPDATE: Chick's toes have straighten out although still stumbling around ... The outer toe on its L/foot has straighten out better. Found the "cup" therapy works great for strengthening its legs & work those toes. Decided not to retape and keep exercising & I very hopeful

Attachments

• 20230323_073004.jpg
    20230323_073004.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This has happened in my flock, and when it does, I treat with people vitamins because they are much more potent. I use vitamin E in 1000 to 2000mg capsules and vitamin B-complex that has 100mg of B-2,6 and 12, all having the ability to repair nerve connections. I give one E and one B-complex each day for four weeks before I quit. It can sometimes take a month to work.

Then if the vitamins don't help improve the patient, I suspect an avian virus. Both Marek's and lymphoid leucosis can cause paralysis. There is no cure.
So we were using the people vitamins at first, but we got this powdered vitams from petco, and we were scared to give her to much vitamins, so we stopped the people vitamins and stared using the powder, she was already starting to get better, then we ordered poly-vi-sol from Amazon without iron, and that totally threw her back worse then when we started the whole process of trying to cure her. We don't suspect virus because she was stumbling around and laying down for 2 or 3 days before we pulled her from the other little chick's, and if she had a virus I would think the rest would get it from being around her right? Cause the other chicks are still super healthy and growing. When she's in her sling she kicks her legs constantly like she's swimming but there pointing straight back behind her, we can move her legs forward, but she instantly throws them backwards again. And this has been and ongoing process for about a month now.
This has happened in my flock, and when it does, I treat with people vitamins because they are much more potent. I use vitamin E in 1000 to 2000mg capsules and vitamin B-complex that has 100mg of B-2,6 and 12, all having the ability to repair nerve connections. I give one E and one B-complex each day for four weeks before I quit. It can sometimes take a month to work.

Then if the vitamins don't help improve the patient, I suspect an avian virus. Both Marek's and lymphoid leucosis can cause paralysis. There is no cure.

OOPS ... I forgot to post this yesterday :rolleyes:

PolyVisol without the iron is what you got? I can't seem to find any here (HI). Riboflavin is B2 ... A friend's hatch got curly toes so I have got it started on Poultry Cell & boiled egg yolk with some feed. I got the toes taped, we're on Day 2 I've had it ... Still stumbling around but standing & attempting to walk. I'm "exercising" it in a cup, I've seen where someone cured splayed legs this way. It does seem to strengthen the legs & works the feet/toes. You may want to try the cup instead of the sling, I was too lazy to try that.
I'll tag others, they may be of more help ... Thank you in advance for any advice here
*** Those I tagged have been removed as they have responded ;)

UPDATE: Chick's toes have straighten out although still stumbling around ... The outer toe on its L/foot has straighten out better. Found the "cup" therapy works great for strengthening its legs & work those toes. Decided not to retape and keep exercising & I very hopeful
She is too big for a cup and the poly-vi-sol is without iron we got it on amazon.

That she can move her legs at will is a sign that there is no paralysis. This almost certainly eliminates the possibility of an avian virus such as Marek's.

There is a slight chance of this being neurological, but a greater chance this is a physical or motor defect. With very young chicks that may have physical issues, therapy can often help them grow past them.

What I suggest is going ahead with the mild multi-vitamins if you wish, but focus on giving her extra vitamin E in case a deficiency of this is behind the leg issue. It can't hurt. Give the E-oil sprinkled on finely minced hard boiled egg which most chicks love, and the tiny bits are easier for a tiny chick to eat comfortably. Egg helps the E absorb better.

Add physical therapy to the vitamin E, and I think you will be coming at the problem in two ways, one or both having a chance of working. The cup or sling therapy numerous times a day for five to ten minutes at a time, can help strengthen the chick in an upright position which is natural so the skeleton will heal more naturally, and avoid deforming if the chick were to be left lying prone.

My hunch is that you are dealing with leg muscle weakness as the main issue. The tea cup or sling has a very good chance of fixing this problem, but you'll need to be very dedicated for a couple of days. If by day three there's no improvement, a possibility, then I would conclude the chick has an uncorrectable genetic defect.

Back
Top Bottom