Need Advice

Bantamlover23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Chuluota, FL
I am really at a loss of what I need to do. I lost my job in January this year and still have not been able to find a job. I am a medical transcriptionist and I only have about 6 months of actual transcription experience. I lost my job because the company changed ownership and laid off a lot of people, I was in the second group of about 20 people who were laid off. Now I cannot find a transcription job because every company I have talked to wants at least 2 years experience and other companies more. I really like the medical field but I have no desire to become a nurse. Though I have been looking into becoming a medical assistant, but my dad pretty much laughed at me this morning when I mentioned it, that hurt. I could possibly try to find something else, but I really do not lie anything else. I hope I do not sound close minded but man it is hard to find something that I really like. Thank you for listening to me.

Is that the same as a medical secretary? If not how about something like that? If so, sorry I have no clue. My friend's mom is a medical secretary for the pediatrics unit at the local hospital here. Not a nurse, but a receptionist of sorts. I hope things turn out for you and I am sorry it's so tough right now
sad.png
Hopefully you can find a job that you enjoy.

I think you should bite the bullet, forget your dad's "unfaith" in your wants and go for it if you can. Attend any schooling you need to be a medical assistant, and if you are done with all that by all means get a job in that field. Bringing in money, whatever the legal job, is noteworthy, especially right now.. He should be proud that you are even able to perhaps find work I think.

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time right now. It is wonderful that you have found something you enjoy doing. For most of us that is the goal, but the opportunities are few and far between. Do you have a reference letter from the company that let you go? Maybe some solid positive remarks about your performance, even if it was only 6 months, is what you need to add to your resume. Also remember that even if the ad reads you must have 2 years or more, you can still apply. Be honest about your length of experience but add the reference letter to each application or resume you put out there. You never know what sort of applicants they are receiving. I have been in a position to hire help and the applicant with the most experience is not always the first or best choice. Employers look at a lot of different things when looking for someone to fill a job. Maybe in the mean time you can take a job just to fill the $ void but remind yourself it is just temporary , still put forth your best effort no matter what it is and keep applying for the job you really want. Good luck to you.
hugs.gif

Have you thought about medical billing? There are a lot of places that have technical schools that offer this, often at night or online. Also, there are places that will hire you to do this out of your home. You have to be certified (pass a test) after you finish the school. I know people who do this and it doesn't take too long to get through the school. I think you can get an associate degree in some programs. Check it out. It won't solve your immediate problem, but will give you more flexability in the job market. You may have to do something you hate to survive while in school, but it won't last forever.

Just because you are in the medical field, doesn't mean you should become a nurse. I don't know why people think that lol. I know nursing students who have been out of school for a year and more who can't find jobs. There is a link about it on the AZ Board of Nursing and it is happening in lots of other states as well. The nursing shortage is a complete crock, not true. They still have Canadian nurses and nurses from other countries working here in America and new American RN grads can't get jobs because they don't have actual RN experience.

Last edited:
my daughter is a medical assistant . she is thinking about going to school to be an x ray tech. alot of the people she went to school with are having a hard time finding jobs as medical assistants. she was lucky the doctor she did her hours with kept her on. you need to folow your heart on what you want to do. Its your life and you have need to be happy with your career. good luck with what ever you decide

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you Chixie I needed to hear that. I now the job market stinks at the moment but I think I would really like this field. I am hoping with my transcription background I might be able to find something.

Thank you everyone I was having a crappy day this has helped.

Back
Top Bottom