Need Advice!

NestingHillsSC

Songster
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Tennessee
I looked all over but can't seem to find an answer.

I found a big male Pekin duck at the lake this summer. Brought it home put with chickens . Bought a pool. Did some reading on them so bought a young female for him. They get along great. Where one goes the other goes. When he mates with her he's on her then right off.

Here's the problem. I just love duck eggs. So I bought another female yesterday. Put her in with the 2 I have. Which I should say are in another pen by themselves. But now the male is viciously attacking the new female. None stop. Pulling on her feathers biting her neck etc etc. When she gets in the pool he mates with her none stop lol. But the attacking is crazy. I now put him this morning in a separate pen by himself. Maybe will it calm him down?? Is this just natural. New to ducks.The new female looks younger than the rest.

Will say the 2 females don't care less about each other. There fine. Just the male.

Any suggestions will be great! Thanks.

he is a drake, she is an outsider. You would never just toss a new chicken into the flock, the same goes for new ducks. A fence to allow them to see each other but be separate when the new bird is first brought home is needed so they can get use to her and not hurt her.

Oh I will. Didn't know how this would go. Chickens I put in with the others and a few days there fine. When I put the first female with the drake he was very nice. Almost seemed as if she was the boss. lol. But not this one. He goes off on her. There seem as of now better already since I moved him back and her in the corner. I'll keep her in there for a day and take her out tomorrow just to see how they are doing. Have these ducks for the eggs. He'll be in the freezer if he doesn't straighten out.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom