Need advice

fantasycoop

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Connecticut
I currently have two 2year old New Hampshire Reds, two- 1year old Barred Rocks, two 8 months old Americana's, two Black Sex-links & two Silver Laced Wyndotts. All beautifully healthy chickens that all have their own personalities. I feed them a well balanced diet of pellets and only a daily handful of treats consisting of lettuce, bread, and other kitchen scraps. My retired neighbor, who agreed to share the care and maintenance of the coop and chickens with me insists on feeding them large amounts of old rice and pasta that he has been hoarding away for days in his house.

Last year when his girlfriend visited from France they cleaned out his cupboards and cooked pounds of old rice and pasta and dumped it in piles into the coop and the chickens liked this food, but I didn't think it was healthy based on the fact that their eggs, which were once hard, were now thin walled and mushy. When I confronted him on the issues, he insisted that he had lots of experience as a child raising chickens and that "chickens eat garbage and engineered pellets are not necessary for chickens to produce hard eggs and they simply needed to eat clam shells for calcium".

He left for france for 3 months and I was in control of the feedings. I kept them on a diet of ground oyster shells and pellets with the occasional handful of treats as mentioned above.I was receiving anywhere from 2-6 eggs a day and as I gave the eggs to friends, the feedback was they were bright and healthy eggs with a hard shell. Since my neighbors return, he's back to feeding them large amounts of "garbage" food and they are now ignoring their pellets. Once again their eggs have become thin shelled and break from the lay. When I spoke with my neighbor again this morning he claims "it's not from what he's feeding them they just need more shells."

I worry about the health of my chickens as if one of the soft eggs breaks inside of the chickens they may get sick. I'm looking for advice from any avid barnyard members on this problem. Am I just being too cautious here?

Last edited:
Chickens cant just eat our garbage they need food made for their needs. What your doing (Feeding pellets,oyster shells, occasionally treats) is perfect. I would not let him feed that to your chickens anymore. It is his food that is causing the eggs to be that way.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined.

seen some where on here today were thir is 2 neighbors wantint to share some chickens this is one of the theng that I had thought about right here the best theng I could say is and what I`d do is piss me off one neighbor by telling him were to go I get real crazy over my birds good luck an maybe he will stay in france

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Treats like pasta and rice are lovely, but it's not enough for them. I agree with your feeding though
thumbsup.gif
Try and keep the starchy food to a minimum if you can. Offer to take care of the feeding by yourself. Your concern about the soft shells are valid. A soft shell egg can cause problems for a hen as can an unbalanced diet like what he's feeding them. Gosh, I've no idea what some people are thinking off! Put your foot down and stay from with him and show him the results of the eggs from your feeding and his if necessary. Good luck!

Thanks for replies . This site is great I have solved all my chicken problems by reading posts here . I know I'm feeding them the proper way I know some chicken owners who refuse to give them treats in fear they will throw off there diet.

I have raised chickens before and never had this problem.

Last edited:
I have done all of the above and peace fully stated my case to him problem is the coop is in a neighbors yard that we share as a garden and coop area as long as we shovel snow and clean up that we have use of so he lives two houses closer and is retired. I work and have no control during the day .
I will have to show him this thread . I forgot to mention he's the neighborhood hoarder

Back
Top Bottom