1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TXTiffany, Jan 14, 2015.

1. TXTiffany

TXTiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    I placed a order for 35 Frizzle Bantam Cochin chicks. They will be here Friday. I will be working on getting a brooder set up and ready today, and tomorrow. I expect the babies to be in this brooder for about 6-8 weeks. I know with Bantams the size requirement is smaller. How many square feet should I make the brooder to last them that long? TIA!

2. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    TY!!

3. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    My chicks arrived this morning. All of them seem to have fared well in their trip. I have a temporary brooder set up, and I am hoping they will do well in it for about a week. I know how fast they grow. I am doing something a little new this time. I have set up a chicken nipple watering system. I have four separate containers of water with a nipple on each of them. I still have two more nipples, and I plan on getting those in there later today. So there will be a total of 6 watering stations. Is that enough for them at this age or should I purchase more? They are already taking to it very well. I just want to make sure everyone gets a drink when they want it.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They will do fine with that much water access. IMO, to brood chicks through a 6 - 8 week period, you need 1.5 - 2 s.f./chick.

5. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    Thank you. I am going to make the brooder as large as possible. For now they are in a huge box. 4ft by 4ft.

6. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    You don't need that many. What you have is more than enough. Where did you get your chicks?

7. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    I ordered from Stromberg. I did lose two chicks within the first few hours they were here. I believe it was due to stress. So far everyone else is doing great.

8. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    What color are your chicks?

9. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    I ordered the assortment, so some will be red, black, and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by