1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advise and help with chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Nov 1, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I hatched 7 mixed pekin/silkie chicks just over 4 weeks ago and one chick just does'nt seem right to me. When it was about a week old i started to notice that it always sat in a corner by its self and did not interact with the other chicks, it only moved to eat and drink and then it would return to the corner of the brooder and just sit there alone. I also noticed that it waddled like a duck from side to side rather than walk straight like the other chicks, when its sat down it seems to keep its wings hanging low most of the time.
    The other chicks have fully feathered and have gone to the coop outside and spend their days in a little run and are getting big, this chick i kept inside with 2 others that hatched a week ago because i did'nt feel it was ready to go in the coop and it only seems to have its wing feathers, the rest is still the chick fluff it was born with. Also it never chirps, just sits there silent unless you try and pick it up then it chirps its head off till you put it back down. The walking looks better but still don't seem right, like it struggles to walk, i have checked this chick over so many times but can't seem to see any thing obviously wrong with it.
    Is some thing wrong with this chick or is it possible that its just a bit slower and of a very placid nature? would really appreciate some advise and feedback on this.
    TIA

2. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    Did you check to see if it's bum is pasted over? One of my chicks acted like yours and that was the problem.

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have checked and her bum is totally fine, i did keep her on her own for a few days so i could check it on her poop and eating and she is doing all as she should.
    It really is baffling me as to what could be wrong.

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    No one with ideas as to what might be wrong?

5. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help - I am new to this. Maybe adding extra protein into the diet would help with feather development? Everytime any of ours seem a little off, I give them electrolytes in their water just to give them a boost.

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have tried electrolytes and vitamims but nothing changes, failure to thrive and i do not have a clue as to why. She seems perfectly happy though, just have to see how it goes.

7. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:So long as it goes to the feed and water on it's own, doesn't seem to have any true injuries or illnesses, it sounds like it is okay (other than the walking thing). It may be one of those exceptions to the social rule and prefer to be by itself or maybe it's practicing to be broody already. I'd keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or starts to exhibit any other signs of illness. Perhaps a little antibiotic to the water just in case it does have a touch of something. Even hatching "on time" doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a little bit of a premie. It could be that here in a few weeks, little one may run you ragged trying to catch it.

8. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    The way she is walking is one of my main concerns and the fact that she sits all the time and only moves to eat and drink. Like i said in my 1st post i have put her in with 2 chicks that hatch a week ago now and she is very good with them, they tuck themselves under her wing and she just sits there and lets them cuddle up to her, the 6 chicks that hatched out at the same time as her are already out in the coop and playing in a small run all day, but i did'nt feel she was ready to join them as they are feathered out and she only has her wing feathers and the fact that she is so quiet, did'nt want the jumping all over her as they are really active now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by