Need advise asap

sjohns20680

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My first batch of incubated duck eggs started hatching yesterday. 5 have hatched out natrally and I just helped one this morning. The reason I helped was because it was actually the first one to have made a hole in it's shell. It's bill was the only this that could get through the hole and he has not been making any progress, Right or wrong to intervene is now not the question, I did because I thought not helping in over 24 hours would doom him for sure. I removed him from the incubator and slowing chipped away at the shell and membrane with a pair of tweezers. I only wanted to free his head and wings and then I was going to return him to the incubator and let him finish on his own. Well he literally just spilled out of his shell in my hand. I replaced him as is back in the incubator and he seems to be doing okay...very tired....My question: He has a piece of shell still stuck to his body and now I am wondering if I should remove it because I think it is drying to his body and it is making it difficult for him to move. It's not on his belly, it's on his back near his neck

Please any advise would be so much appreciated. I love this little guy already. It is making moving about difficult for him.

Thank you for the reply. I must admit I got more than a little nervous so I took a paper towel and soaked it with warm water, I then took the duckling and wrapped him up like a burrito and immediately placed him back in the incubator. I left him like that for about 45 minutes. I then removed him and most of the shell came off quite easily. There are still some small shards of shell but he is able to move around freely. At what point so you think that I can actually breath? I am still so nervous that I have to remind myself to breath. He is chirpping and stumbling around, does that indicate that he'll be okay? Another question - How long should you wait before interceding? I keep reading to do nothing for 24 hours. I lost another one at the same stage of hatching as this guy. His little bill was completely through, yet he died in the process. I have about 5 more eggs in there that I don't hold out mucn hope for because of my indicision of how to care for this guy cuased me to open and close the incubator too many times. I have another batch of eggs in another incubator that are due to stop rotating on Tuesday so I just would like some input on when to step in. None of my Call Duck eggs have hatched but the actually hatch day is tomorrow (these guys hatched early or my count was WAY off) anyway, I will take a look at them when I remove the guy that is wandering in there now. I think the sooner he gets with other ducks the better off he will be and I am more concerned for the ones I know are alive. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom