Need Advise - Chick Not Able to Get OUt of Shell

debbier98

Songster
Nov 22, 2021
Lancaster, Ca
I have a chick trying to hatch. It's started to hatch 2 days ago, and continues very slowly to try and breakout of her shell but doesn't seem to be able to. She is still alive, she talks, I can see her breathing and moving, but is making real slow progress on getting out of her shell.
So my question is: should I just continue to wait and let her do it on her own? or should I try to help?

Pictures of the hatching chick?

What's the humidity? Are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & hygrometers to monitor conditions in the incubator?

Hi, yes I just took a pic. This is the progress she's made in 2 days.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220521_062132.jpg
    thumbnail_20220521_062132.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 2
Humidity is 49% and I've used 2 different thermometers.
Too low. I'd increase the humidity to at least 55% - 65%. For lockdown.

Looks abit sticky. Go ahead, & assist, since it's been trying to hatch for a couple days.

For a sticky chick, use either some coconut oil, or water to moisturize the membranes while you remove shell, & membrane off the chick. You'll need a q tip to apply the coconut oil, or water to the membranes.

Too low. I'd increase the humidity to at least 55% - 65%.

Looks abit sticky. Go ahead, & assist, since it's been trying to hatch for a couple days.

For a sticky chick, use either some coconut oil, or water to moisturize the membranes while you remove shell, & membrane off the chick.
Thank you, I'll increase the humidity now, give it about an hour and if no further progress I'll try your assist method. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom