need advise for door latch/ closer/ knob

There is a wooden fence latch made of metal that will open from both sides that should work. some of your larger constuction stores should carry or a fencing company.

If you're not concerned about someone locking you in (e.g. if you don't have kids) then really cherub78's approach is by far the simplest.

If you do want to make sure you can never be locked in by accident, you can buy the kind of latch spd215 describes (look for a company that sells barn fittings, e.g. for horse barns) but IME they are ridiculously pricey, like in the $40+ range. Making something like jjamerb has got would be cheaper, doesn't have to be fancy, just has to work. I'd suggest regarding it merely as a catch and having an *additional* raccoon-proof latch on the door (padlock, or whatever) to use once you exit the coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wow, I was outside working on the new critter addition and just came in to see the responses.

The latch spd215 suggested I did get, but then realized it won't work on a recessed door.

I can't use the type of hardware I have now on the existing door because I need to be able to go in one end of the building and out the other end without chickens/ducks escaping. Neither door is in their fenced area.

Love the pic jjamerb posted. That is definately a possibility.

Don't want a hole too big (not even big enough for a finger/hand) because that is the direction the strong winds and rain come from.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions from everyone.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your issues but have you considered a spring close mechanism? This way the door will always close behind you and you can simply push it open from the inside. Use something like a padlock, or hook and eye on the outside when you need security overnight.

Cherub, I think that the latch mechanism I have on my coop *might* work for you. Granted, it's not set up for a recessed door, but I think you could pretty easily drill two screw holes in the back plate and mount it that way and then just clip off the top/bottom screw tabs. The latch catch would stick out into your doorway, but it does already with your current mechanism, so whatever. I am assuming that your door opens IN.

I think I would try drilling out a catch into your trim/framing, you know, like a regular door catch. It could be reinforced with a simple hardware catchplate. That would probably work if you were willing to cut into your framing and then you don't have anything sticking out into your doorway.

Mine opens from both sides. I have it mounted on a door made from tongue/groove pine, so it's not particularly thick and it seems to work just fine. I picked this up from my local Menards last summer. Don't have a brand name and on my receipt it just says "swinging door latch" and it cost $20 - but if you are interested, I am happy to run down there this week and see if I can find you two. PM me either way.

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

Back
Top Bottom