need advise hens stoped laying!!!

DADDYS HENS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
maine
I moved my chickens into a new coop yesterday afternoon, I went out this morning around 945 am to let them out to free range.(this is normal routine) I found that I have no eggs?? Usually by now they have laid 4-5 eggs by now but I have none. I understand that the move may have stressed them out but how long will it be before they start laying again??? Also when i let them out they all ran over to the old coop, I have old coop shut up because I want them to get used to the new coop. And I'm going to be taking down the old coop.
So I guess my question is... should i just give it some time and hope they will start laying again in new coop and keep old coop off limits??? and is this normal behavior for egg layers after a move?? Please give me all advice>

Mine were not affected by any moves. It could be their systems are just resetting themselves. Most of mine have stopped laying eggs for about two weeks now. A couple are molting and a couple are still laying. I think they seem to just need to readjust sometimes if that is the right word. You'll probably be getting a gazillion eggs before long!
smile.png

Yeah, sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust to new surroundings...I added some new hens last weekend, and it took them a couple of days to get back in the groove...good luck!

You may want to check in the old coop, IF the hens can get to it.. Most animals are creatures of habit (as we humans are), and they may not want to lay in a strange place. Give them a few days...

Yep, the little darlings can indeed refuse to lay in a new coop, some actually stop for a bit while others will go into the old coop if they have access and lay there.

In short if the birds feel a bit stressed they do the on strike routine.

Long story short, don't stress your birds.

Why not let them back into the old coop for a few mornings to lay. Then as they get used to sleeping in the new coop you could take the old coop away. Maybe it would be less stressful if they did not have to go cold turkey.
D.gif

We have one OEG silver duck wing hen and two roos. We did have 2 hens but sadly one is no longer around. The hen hasn't laid yet and now I'm not sure if it was this hen or the other that was laying before. It is spring here now and our layers are definitely laying, is there anything we can do to help or see if she is going to lay?

I'm right there with you. I had 7 production hens who had dropped production to 3 to 5 eggs per day, so I added two Americaunas. The girls were upset and quit laying, so I traded the Americaunas for two more production hens thinking they might do better with theire own kind. It's been almost a week with no eggs. I'm going to get a KFC bucket of chicken and eat it infront of them and tell the freeloaders they are next if they don't start LAYING!

I just got new hens on Friday, they are in a new coop by themselves and nooooooooooo eggs. They disregard the laying box and have knocked it over. I hope they start laying soon, poor dears. It makes me feel bad that they are uncomfortable enough to not lay.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom