need advise on culling Marek infected flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by relicwife, Oct 8, 2012.

1. relicwife

relicwife New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    I have about 80 chickens. I was losing a chicken or two here and there until I saw a pattern and took two of my limping birds to the state lab. I have been diagnosed with Marek's disease. Heaven only knows where I picked it up from as I thought I was being so careful. We had hatched out our own eggs this spring and so we had 50% roosters. I was going to take my roosters to the poultry auction until I found out that I had Marek's. Now I need to find a way to cull all of my roosters. Is there a humane way to do this? They are just not meaty enough to use for eating. I want to keep my hens and a few roosters to breed from to keep my line going. I plan on vaccinating for Marek's as the chicks hatch and hopefully a couple of generations later be Marek free.

Any advise would be welcome!

Thank you

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Do you not want to slit throats? You can build a co2 chamber its easy and you can get co2 in big tanks. I built this for mice but you could build a larger one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by