Need advise on this coop

looks like a great coop for the price....and for 2 or 3 birds i think it will be fine!.......good luck!

Wow, not bad at all. Shouldn't be too hard to add the needed ventilation and a run.
I'm kind of embarassed to admit how much I spent building my coop.

Hi from Ga. Looks good but the size listed is suspect. The 45" includes the nest box so its only about 6 sq. ft. Recommendations are 4 sq. ft. / bird. You might start with 2 or 3 birds but before long you will want more.
hmm.png

I would really do your homework...I was looking at coops on amazon at one point, and came across one that looks very similar to this one...the reviews were deplorable...cheap brittle wood, bad materials, etc. On top of that, the company was offering a refund....as long the reviewers would change their reviews to positive ones...

PLUS......you might THINK you only want 2 or 3 right NOWWWW, but I would err on the side of caution and do your original plan of a "fair bit bigger". That way you have the option of adding more birds and don't risk overcrowding or getting ripped off by shoddy materials and workmanship.

Even if I only had a small amount of birds (and that never lasts as others have mentioned), I would want a coop that I could access. Too much could go on in there without your knowledge.

Stick with your original idea of a larger coop...I agree, you will want more than 2 or 3 chickens eventually. The picture of the coop looks nice, however, where are the air vents? There should be vents at the top on at least one side, if not two, and larger than a small round hole I think I see on the pic. As stated by others, you will need more floor space for your birds. I had five Rhode Island Reds, fairly large chickens, in a coop that included four nests, that measured 4 ft wide x 3 ft deep. Not really large enough. Have built much larger one since. Check out Craigs List and maybe a local carpenter for some bids on building what you want. OR, check out on BYC all the pics of coops built by members...especially Tractors as they are smaller. Both of my coop ideas came from pics on BYC including suggestions on venting, windows, flooring, etc. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom