1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advise

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lavenfield, Nov 6, 2008.

1. lavenfield

lavenfield New Egg

Nov 6, 2008
    Hi All,

I am new to the board so forgive me if this question has been answered before... I could find it if it has... anyway, do most of you do this as a hobby or for a living. Can someone make a good living raising free range chickens for eggs? I am in the very beginning of my research so if this sounds very 101 it is because I am at the 101 at this stage.

Thanks so much for your help.

2. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Hobby,
    I have 20 chickens and Id have to have a heck of a lot more to make a good living at it! 2 eggs a day doesn't go far!

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My two, maybe three, roos and my hen are pets. I do not expect eggs but if I get any, that will be fine.

4. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Our chickies are a hobby as well. No eggs yet..just expensive cutie patooties!! Hopefully someday we will have eggs. [​IMG]

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Mine are a hobby as well but they will help to supplement our household income. There is not much money in eggs but I enjoy having my birds and they give us fresh eggs and meat to eat as well as the money I make on selling a few dozen hatching eggs or chicks along [​IMG]

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Hmmm, well mine are a hobby but as I am a domestic engineer- they take up as much time as a job would.

7. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    My 10 girls are a hobby that gives us free range eggs and really good fertilizer for the garden. I have become addicted to chicken TV.

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have 10 chickens and 1 duck. they are a hobby and I sell spare eggs - this probably covers their food and a bit more but no way is it a living!!

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    [​IMG] Lavenfield!

Does that username stand for "Lavender Fields"? I grow lavender, so just wondering.

[​IMG]

10. lavenfield

lavenfield New Egg

Nov 6, 2008
    Quote:Yes I love lavender and many many years ago on another board I picked the screen name Lavenfield because the name Lavender Field was not available and I have used it since.

You grow lavendar... how awesome... I would love that.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by