Need an affordable source for bulk almonds

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
Does anyone else go through a LOT of almonds? Wifezilla, you out there? We eat them EVERY day--they're a favorite snack for my daughter, I use them in cooking quite a bit, and now I'm starting to use lots of recipes that call for almond meal, which I grind myself.

I'm going broke buying almonds! Is there a place that sells them in bulk? Organic would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. I may have to break down and pay the king's ransom that Whole Foods charges by the pound. Ugh.

Do you have a restaurant distributor by you? Sometimes they let non-restaurant owners shop it just costs a little more. That's how I buy my almonds.. DId you ever make spinach salad with cranberries and toasted slivered almonds? YUMMO!!

Quote:
I'm sure we do...how would you find one?

And I just imagined the same salad you describe...with goat cheese and raspberry vinaigrette! YUM!

Ill post the recipe in the mornin... Umm try looking up food wholesalers.. come to think of it BJ's WHolesale or Sam's club might have them too...

Ben E. Keith is the one I can think of that's local, but it seems they're mostly like cafeteria-quality foods? Maybe I'm wrong. I love almonds, though, so I'm enjoying learning how to substitute almond meal for wheat flour in some recipes.

Yeah it's interesting.. we have Cisco and DICarlo and places like that.. do you know anyone who has a restaurant... Here's the recipe for the Salad: It's called "Jamie's Cranberry Spinach Salad" it's from allrecipes.com
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

Add to Shopping List
Customize Recipe
Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.

It is always a hit whenever I make it... Enjoy ^_^

I dont know where you get a better price on raw almonds than Trader Joes..Whole Foods is much more expensive

if you have a Trader Joes at least you will do better price wise that is where I buy them

If you have a BJ's they have them in 3 pound bags > I think they are 12.99 for the bag. I do not buy them very often but that is quiet a bit cheaper than Kroger .

I buy almonds at Costco. I know it's a 3#-package and it seems like I pay around $9.99 for them. After looking at several places on the internet, wow, it's a good price.

Michele.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom