Need an intermediate between the storage tub and the outdoor coop!

I went to UHaul and bought two wardrobe boxes and taped them together...it worked until I moved them out to the coop after it was finished. There were ten of'em in there and a little crowded by the time I got the coop done, but it worked!

I used the same thing that 5hens used and it worked great! I had 9 in there and there was plenty of room for a few weeks. Take a piece of wire fence and cover part of the top, you can hang the feeder and waterer from there to help keep the litter out.

After that I took some wire fence and made a brooder out of it with a bottom, originally it was so they could be outside for a bit but eventually they moved into it until the coop anf run were finished. I used an cheap shower curtain on the floor to protect it. They're about $2 at walmart. It's going to be my time out box if one of my roosters doesn't stop riding everything in sight. (including the other roos)
smile.png

Well tonight I got a wardrobe box out of the attic (we just moved here in January), taped it up and cut most of one side off. It has given them a bit more room until I can implement one of great ideas I got from ya'll.

I have 5 of these and they work great. Build a box (8ftx4ft)with 4 2x3 8 ft lenghts, 4 2x3 4ft lengths for the width. Make it 2 ft high with a 2ft 2x3 on each corner. Reinforce the corners with plywood triangles, 10 inches on the long side. 7 total 8 ft 2x3's will build it. Run 2 foot chicken wire around the box and used 2 8ftx2ft corugated tin roofing for the top. I nail one sheet down, the other is removabel to feed/water. It's held down with bricks on top.I put a old piece of plywood on one side for a floor (2x3) and put plywood up around the plywood corner to keep the wind out. Most of the floor area is dirt/grass. Hang 100 watt bulb in the plywood corner. I've put 2 day old chicks in these and they have survived rain and some pretty cold evenings. You can keep 10 birds in one of these for 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom