Need answer ASAP...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThePigeonKid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    One of my eggs in my incubator was starting to hatch yesterday at about 7 PM, there has been a little bit of progress, but not much, and it has been over 12 hours. Is it normal for it to take so long to hatch? (My last two chicks hatched in a couple of hours.)

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Yes that can be normal. It can take over 24 hours too. I just hatched out some last week. The first one pipped at midnight. Second one at about 6 am. They didn't hatch until that afternoon. Be patient and keep the lid closed! LOL. It is so hard to wait I know.

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I have the same issue.... 2 with minimal progress. It is driving me crazy.

4. DrRob

DrRob Out Of The Brooder

There is a fine line between being over reactionary and being patient, I have had the same thing happen on my last 2 hatches, but on those I intervened only to find out either their yolk sac was not fully absorbed or they had just pipped a little too early and lost a total of 10 chicks [​IMG]
    Now I think it is best just to leave them to zip and come out on their own and if they don't they obviously were not strong enough anyway.

Have the patience of a saint and I am sure your patience will be rewarded with new fuzzy butts !

Warmest Regards
    Dr Rob.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Ditto

6. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have some in my incubator that has been pipped for almost 24 hours but I will leave them alone. They will probably hatch sometime today. Just keep that lid closed and find something to occupy your time.

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    12 hours is usually the average from the first pip. The chick knows it needs to rest and let the blood veins dry up or it will bleed to death. The re-energize during that time frame and then zip out. I agree that if they don't make it under normal circumstances.. they usually shouldn't

I had one who hadn't done anything and before tossing the eggs I open them to see what is wrong. It was alive but (sorry graphic here) it's scull was open and it's brains were on the side. I wish that was an egg I hadn't opened to see. Hard to forget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by