Need answer to my question

ChicCrazyInNC

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Mebane NC
Hi, I am somewhat new to Turkeys and have a question.
I have a pair of royal palms about 14 months olds. My hen has been laying a while. Most of the time I collect the eggs and incubate them myself but since it's getting warmer I have started leaving them in her nest. She has 5 now. The pair is in a 10x10 lot. The hen lays in a 50 gallon barrel. Here is my question.... A friend told me when my hen starts to set, my gobbler will break up her nest just so he can breed her again and that I need to separate my male. He doesn't raise Turkeys but is an avid hunter and says wild Turkeys do this, IS THIS TRUE FOR MY ROYAL PALMS?? Any advice will greatly be appreciated!

Every jake is different. our jakes (Heritage Bourbon Red) Will not bother a mother on a nest. I think it will depend on the jake.

If your barrel is on its side and the hen inside on the nest, most Jakes could not get inside the barrel. If it is a split barrel, it would be possible of course...

Thanks! My barrel is on it's side, solid, and has a square cut in the end. My husband uses them for dog houses for his hunting hounds but they make great nest boxes for Turkeys and my muscovy hens. I have never seen the male in there at all so hopefully I will have some Poults. Another question, I have heard people call the male Turkeys, Toms, Jakes and gobblers, what's the difference?? I'm assuming their age? Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom