need answers about baby chicks...please!!!

libbykitten0405

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Hi everyone.

I picked up my 6 baby chicks on sautrday. I had a heat lamp, the correct food, the correct flooring, you name it. I'm sad to say, my littlest peep died last night. I'm not sure what happened, so here's the run down. He was fine, playing with all the rest. I never took my eyes off of them. he was even the "funny one" pecking his brothers and sisters. I layed on the couch, and my bf went over to check on them an hour later, and the little chick had lost all control of his head. He just couldn't keep it up anymore. His eyes were closed and he was breathing pretty hard. I got a little towel and craddeled him, and as I was wrapping him up, I noticed his little foot was curling inwards. I layed him on my chest, hoping my heart beat would calm him, and it did....but everytime he would try and move, he would just roll...it is one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. I felt so helpless. By this time it was 2 in the morning and his condition was failing, so I just held him until he passed about an hour later. I was trying to google what he had. Is it wry neck/ can it come on that quickly. I want to do everything I can to keep my chickens healthy and safe...anyone with any suggestions ...please let me know your thoughts

It difficult to say, maybe another member will be able to give more insight on the matter :( sorry for your loss- must have been an awful experience but hopefully the other little guys are helping to cheer you up! Have fun being a chicken mommy! And

Back
Top Bottom