1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need answers about salt in the water will it kill them or not

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gersbud, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I has recently told that I needed to add 1. tsp of salt per gallon to my chickens water to help
    curb their egg eating habit. I have had mixed emotions about this. I was told that Salt in
    their water can kill them. But the feed store where I buy their feed said that They need to
    have salt added to water. Please help. Need to find the real answer.[​IMG]

2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    I have never heard someone told to add salt to their chickens water - this sounds like a really bad idea. Fresh clean water is essential, and the salt is not good for them. I can't imagine why that would help with the egg eating.

If they are missing something in their diets you could always chop up some hard boiled egg for them - after they egg is cooked, they shouldn't associate it with what they are laying.

I would consult a vet before you added anything to their food or water.

Good luck.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Salt is a bad idea. It may be some one is assuming an iodine deficiencey. Dark leafy greens will solve that problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by