Need book, website, SOMETHING to help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joletabey, Jun 12, 2009.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I LOVE BYC. But I have WAY too many questions about what breeds look like, how to identify them, etc. How to tell a roo from a hen when they are younger. I don't understand the difference between things like splashes and spangles, muffs, puffs, and what it is about rooster feathers that are different from hens. I can't identify much in the comb category, either, although I THINK I get what a pea comb is. . . .but whats a rose? And what about the ones that look like a hen from the Red Hat society? PLEASE recommend good books, the best websites. I have looked on some, but lots have sketches rather than photos. I was really dumbfounded the other day on here when I saw a picture of a wildly colored roo and discovered Art is Life. I wanna learn stuff!!!!!
    Thanks for your help.
    p.s. I am NOT good at navigating interiorly in websites. Like I can't find my way to old posts on here very well, so be merciful.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
  3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It takes time.. Youll get the hang of it...
    Dont for get about the Hennys there a breed that the roosters look like the hens... [​IMG]
    Chris

5. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Happy 2000!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Feathersite is a good site. Also Hendersons chicken chart has some good information. The standard of perfection has a lot of good information if you can get a hold of one. Another source that I have found very helpful is the books pocketful of poultry and storeys illustrated guide to poultry breeds. They are both by the same author and have basic information on many breeds. Plus pictures. They can usually be found on amozon for not very much.

7. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    The American Poultry Association, and the American Bantam Assoc. both offer books with a great deal of info. The APA publication is the Standard of Perfection, and the ABA book is the Standard. Both organizations establish the standards for their respective groups.

www.amerpoultryassn.com

www.bantamclub.com

Well worth the money if you intend to stay in the hobby.

Jim

8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Happy 2000!!

[​IMG] Wow, I've hit 2000 posts!!!! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It will cost you some $$$, but if you want photos of various feather patterns to identify the differences between spangling and mottling and penciling and lacing and .... Genetics of Chicken Colours is a very good purchase. www.chickencolours.com

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I'm a big reader of books so I found "Story's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds" for about $25 or I got mine for $14 as overstock online. It shows comb types, feather types, egg colors and covers a very good range of chickens, turkeys and a few other fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: