Need Breed/Gender/Age (with pics.)

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
Okay, I went to the farmers flea market today and bought some chickens. I was over-run with roos and really needed some hens. Here's what I got:

1. EE. Pullet? They were almost certain and we have met them several times so they gave us their number and said that if it turned out to be a rooster, we could call them and they would fix it.

Picture793.jpg

2. Buff Hen. But what kind of buff? What breed?

Picture797.jpg

3. White Silkie. They were adamant that it was a hen, but they also had "auracanas" with long flowing tails. Plus, it looks kinda like a roo to me. How old do you think it is? Oh, and look at the toe nails! They have grown into talons! Do I need to trim them or will free ranging all day wear them down naturally?

Picture791.jpg

Picture804.jpg

4. A Partridge Rock Hen. After a few hours of being home she laid a pretty egg for us. It was white with tons of brown speckles. Very cute. Does anyone know why she stands and walks that way though? Do all hens of the breed?

Picture788.jpg

5. Two Cuckoo Maran Hens. They both look exactly alike, so this may be the same hen twice, I can't tell! How old do they look?

Picture799.jpg

Picture784.jpg

And yesterday I bought 3 Golden Comet Pullets at the point of lay. They are pullets, right?

Picture785.jpg

Picture776.jpg

(Two of them look very similar, so I can't distiguish between the 2nd and 3rd.)

Last edited:
All are pullets...except I don't know about silkies...I have the HARDEST time with them.

The buff one looks like a Buff Orp but definitely hatchery stock.

The reason for your hen walking like that...unfortunately...is probably because of an internal laying issue. Instead of the follicle being "caught" by the fossae it is dropped into the abdomen. The hen is probably fairly "squishy" down below.

My hen lived a good 2 years like that and finally died due to crop impaction. I didn't realize how sick she was until I came home from school. Such a shame too...I hated losing that sweet bird!

Edited to add: Not EVERY egg will be missed by the fossae but some will be. The yolks/ follicles build up and throw off the weight of the hen. Making her walk in that "penguin" way.

Last edited:
I believe the rock thinks shes part penguin...J/K But don't think she should be standing like that...Look them up on feathersite and see...I just haven't seen a chicken stand like that but I'm also new and don't have a lot of experience yet. You have pretty birds though they look good and healthy.

Have a great evening, Cindy

Here are my guesses....

1: yes, EE pullet, maybe 4 months.
2: Maybe a buff orpington girl, around 5 to 6 months
3: Silkie, probably rooster, no idea on age
4: Plymouth partridge Rock over 6 months Thats not a normal pose though!! That's kind of what they do when they're eggbound.
hu.gif

5: Don't know about these girls. Maybe 4 months
6: Golden stars girls. About 6 months.

I knew when I bought her that it wasn't "right" but I'm a big sucker for the handicapped and disabled. I wanted one of that breed but wanted to look at everything first and by the time I got back she was the only one left. I figured that if someone else got her and found out something was wrong, they might not be so kind to her. It wasn't alot of money and I would be happy if she never laid an egg. I just want her to live a good life.

Back
Top Bottom