need bumblefoot help!

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I am so confused about why my bumblefoot treatment is not working and what to do next. I have two cases. I posted about Poppy on here about a month ago. I ended up cutting into the scab and doing the whole regimen and eventually her swelling went down, she was walking way better, and though she still had a dark scab I figured it was just from my "surgery" and I stopped bandaging her for the last week. Then yesterday she was limping again and I saw it was all swollen in the same area. I picked open the scab and it looked like a kernel was attached, so I pulled that off, put neosporin on and bandaged. Today there's no improvement and I soaked and poked again and bandaged. Do I have to keep picking at it every day? How long until I can expect the swelling to go down?

Case number two has me more concerned. I just noticed about 5 days ago a bumblefoot right by the front toe of my duck Polly. It wasn't black, but it was yellow and very swollen, looking about to burst. I soaked, cut into it a little bit and pulled out some yellow stuff, packed and bandaged. She won't on it so she's just laying around all the time. Yesterday it was no better and I took another go at it and pried off the scab - I was so excited because it seemed like I got the whole kernel - a biggish yellow piece came out. I put on the neosporin and bandaged her, thinking it would be better today. But no, her leg is warm and the whole side of her foot is swollen. I just don't know what else to do. What am I doing wrong here?

I knew I should have them, but I was doing the treatment solo and didn't take any. I know it's hard to help without photos. I will take some tomorrow when I unbandage. I just got them all bandaged up. When I'm picking at it everyday I feel like the little scab is just the dried blood from the day before. But when the swelling is still there, I feel like I need to pick at it again, and then it bleeds and it's hard to see anything. I feel terrible and nervous I'm making it worse.

This is how I do but of course we need pictures. I get the bumble out all that I can see then put on the antibiotic and wrap then I wait 2-3 days letting some of the trauma from what I did settle down. Then if I need to go back in I start over. Usually by 2nd time it heals fine. Maybe you should give an antibiotic now.?

The only thing I have is sulfamethox which is left over from Penny. Do you think I should try that or make an appointment?

I called the vet to ask him about using it when my first duck got bumblefoot and whatever he said I know discouraged me - but he also wanted to see her before prescribing anything. And I never did take her in. I would rather avoid the output $$$$ but I hate to see her suffering.

This is how I do but of course we need pictures. I get the bumble out all that I can see then put on the antibiotic and wrap then I wait 2-3 days letting some of the trauma from what I did settle down. Then if I need to go back in I start over. Usually by 2nd time it heals fine. Maybe you should give an antibiotic now.?
I was going to say the same. May be time for an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom