Need Decision Help! Mareks Confirmed.

Tara Bear

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2019
Hi everyone, I haven't posted anything since I introduced myself. But I'm looking for seasoned chicken custodian/lovers assistance. I got 24 chicks from our Heritage chicken program here in Alberta. They were picked up by owners at farm supply stores. I picked mine up at a certain location. This is where I think they were exposed to Marek's as the woman taking care of them until the owners pick them up told me she had her own chickens. And when I went to pick up the chicks, they were right by the front door. The sign that said 'do not touch' wasn't working when I showed up. And apparently these chicks were vaccinated for Marek's, but being exposed to a woman who has her own chicken farm at the ripe old age of a day old obviously did not allow the vaccination to assist them.

Now, seven and a half weeks in, I have lost 4 chicks. And it was confirmed that the 3rd chick lost had Marek's. The Alberta Government completed the necropsy. I talked with the veterinarian yesterday. She was very helpful in our discussion, she gave me three options moving forward. First option was to euthanize 4 that had partial paralysis in one of its legs and leave the rest of the birds alive. Option 2 - euthanize the smallest Birds in the flock and leave the rest of the birds( I have a huge size and feathering out rate difference in my flock). The third option is to euthanize all of the birds, sterilize everything, and eventually move forward with new chickens. When I asked her what she would do, it came down to she would remove the smallest chicks and move forward, but understanding that I could never sell or share my birds.

This is the first time chickens have been on this property, ever! We haven't placed them in the chicken coop yet and they've been in large x pens with covered sleeping quarters. To say I'm emotionally drained from losing 4 chicks after extended attempts to nurse them back to health is an understatement. I've done a ton of reading on Marek's, and I understand that it is a disease that can continue to have losses in the flock and suffering in the birds. I'm also concerned that I can't bring new chickens in without exposing them to Marek's..

My emotional side is not wanting me to euthanize them. As the veterinarian said yesterday, she does struggle euthanizing birds that look fine and are eating fine. But she understands that they're sick and sometimes that's what we need to do. My logical side says we should euthanize them and start over again next year possibly with hatching eggs to reduce the chances of Marek's. I'm very attached to several of these chicks. They are so social and engaging. But, I see having chickens as a long-term endeavour and I want to reduce the risk of me passing it on to other people's chickens inadvertently and future chicks. I also don't want more of my girls and boys to suffer.

If there's anyone who's been through this, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you. I really appreciate you're sharing. At this point, I am not in need of hearing about holistic medicines. I've done a ton of reading and have information on that area. I'm really looking for assistance in helping make the best decision based on what's best for my current flock, for my farm, and any other flock owners. I come into contact with. Thank you for helping me in this difficult decision time.

Sorry that you are dealing with this diagnosis. There is no need to cull your chicks who are not showing symptoms. The disease is now in your environment, and it will remain in the dust and dander perhaps for years to come. Some chickens may have natural immunity to the disease. If I were in your shoes, I would try to keep this chickens healthy, watch closely for coccidiosis and have amproollium ready to treat it if it shows up. Give them probiotics in their food or water twice a week, and enjoy them.

Many people on BYC deal with Mareks in their flocks, and they tend to breed the birds who remain healthy. They do lose birds occasionally, but it may not be the end of the world. @rebrascora is one who posts a lot of info about her birds. You can click on “search forums” above and try to look up some of her posts. Learn all you can about the disease ebfore you make any hasty decisions, and realize that there are a lot of strong opinions about how to handle the disease. It is pretty much everywhere in the world.

Oh, Honey, this is a tough decision, and a heartbreaking situation! My heart goes out to you. I did not know Marek's was so devastating in its effects. Sigh. I cannot tell you what to do, of course, but since you ask, I can tell you what I would do. I would protect my property and any future chickens I might have there. I would do it with tears and an anguished heart, but I would do it. Bless you as you make your decision, whatever you decide is right for you. I know it's hard. I'm sorry you are in this difficult position.

Sorry that you are dealing with this diagnosis. There is no need to cull your chicks who are not showing symptoms. The disease is now in your environment, and it will remain in the dust and dander perhaps for years to come. Some chickens may have natural immunity to the disease. If I were in your shoes, I would try to keep this chickens healthy, watch closely for coccidiosis and have amproollium ready to treat it if it shows up. Give them probiotics in their food or water twice a week, and enjoy them.

Many people on BYC deal with Mareks in their flocks, and they tend to breed the birds who remain healthy. They do lose birds occasionally, but it may not be the end of the world. @rebrascora is one who posts a lot of info about her birds. You can click on “search forums” above and try to look up some of her posts. Learn all you can about the disease ebfore you make any hasty decisions, and realize that there are a lot of strong opinions about how to handle the disease. It is pretty much everywhere in the world.
Thank you very much for your insights and the articles that you provided below. I actually read all of them yesterday and it's great to know that other people are reading them too! One of the article speaks to that it's believed that most flocks worldwide have it. Which really highlights how prevalent it is.

I am going to email the university program that the chickens came from and let them know of the situation. I'm going to take a couple of days to think on this. In the meantime, they were very happy to see me this morning and my usual 'good morning- we are so happy to see you' girls jumped up on the X pen to give me little gentle pecks on my cheek.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the time you took in your words end in the article that you shared.

Oh, Honey, this is a tough decision, and a heartbreaking situation! My heart goes out to you. I did not know Marek's was so devastating in its effects. Sigh. I cannot tell you what to do, of course, but since you ask, I can tell you what I would do. I would protect my property and any future chickens I might have there. I would do it with tears and an anguished heart, but I would do it. Bless you as you make your decision, whatever you decide is right for you. I know it's hard. I'm sorry you are in this difficult position.
Thank you very much for your support. I am grateful that people understand and have emotionally strong bonds built with these beautiful creatures. I never knew until I got them!

So sorry for your losses. Losing babies is truly heart wrenching, and then to find out on top of it that it's Marek's is quite a blow.

I personally would euthanize the partially paralyzed ones (since they're susceptible to the disease and are going to pass anyway, and suffering), and keep the rest.

Like Eggcessive said, the virus is in your environment now. No running from it, so if you have birds that can live in spite of it, more power to them. You'd have to wait years for it all to die off if you did put them all down.

And as far as minimizing risk in the future, you could order vaccinated chicks directly from a hatchery so you don't get ones that have been handled/contaminated, but you'd still be getting them at a few days old, and the vaccine probably wouldn't have a chance to work yet, as with yours. You could order started birds maybe that have been vaccinated?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted anything since I introduced myself. But I'm looking for seasoned chicken custodian/lovers assistance. I got 24 chicks from our Heritage chicken program here in Alberta. They were picked up by owners at farm supply stores. I picked mine up at a certain location. This is where I think they were exposed to Marek's as the woman taking care of them until the owners pick them up told me she had her own chickens. And when I went to pick up the chicks, they were right by the front door. The sign that said 'do not touch' wasn't working when I showed up. And apparently these chicks were vaccinated for Marek's, but being exposed to a woman who has her own chicken farm at the ripe old age of a day old obviously did not allow the vaccination to assist them.

Now, seven and a half weeks in, I have lost 4 chicks. And it was confirmed that the 3rd chick lost had Marek's. The Alberta Government completed the necropsy. I talked with the veterinarian yesterday. She was very helpful in our discussion, she gave me three options moving forward. First option was to euthanize 4 that had partial paralysis in one of its legs and leave the rest of the birds alive. Option 2 - euthanize the smallest Birds in the flock and leave the rest of the birds( I have a huge size and feathering out rate difference in my flock). The third option is to euthanize all of the birds, sterilize everything, and eventually move forward with new chickens. When I asked her what she would do, it came down to she would remove the smallest chicks and move forward, but understanding that I could never sell or share my birds.

This is the first time chickens have been on this property, ever! We haven't placed them in the chicken coop yet and they've been in large x pens with covered sleeping quarters. To say I'm emotionally drained from losing 4 chicks after extended attempts to nurse them back to health is an understatement. I've done a ton of reading on Marek's, and I understand that it is a disease that can continue to have losses in the flock and suffering in the birds. I'm also concerned that I can't bring new chickens in without exposing them to Marek's..

My emotional side is not wanting me to euthanize them. As the veterinarian said yesterday, she does struggle euthanizing birds that look fine and are eating fine. But she understands that they're sick and sometimes that's what we need to do. My logical side says we should euthanize them and start over again next year possibly with hatching eggs to reduce the chances of Marek's. I'm very attached to several of these chicks. They are so social and engaging. But, I see having chickens as a long-term endeavour and I want to reduce the risk of me passing it on to other people's chickens inadvertently and future chicks. I also don't want more of my girls and boys to suffer.

If there's anyone who's been through this, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you. I really appreciate you're sharing. At this point, I am not in need of hearing about holistic medicines. I've done a ton of reading and have information on that area. I'm really looking for assistance in helping make the best decision based on what's best for my current flock, for my farm, and any other flock owners. I come into contact with. Thank you for helping me in this difficult decision time.
Here's another good article that may help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/flock-care-and-maintenance-with-mareks-part-1.75013/

Back
Top Bottom