Need design help for breeder coop

I have a new problem. I was planning on using the little breeder coops to brood the birds that would be living in them. I figured they would be insulated and small air space to heat, so I might be able to get them warm enough to brood. Well, now DH wants the to be big, and there is no way. I have 2 heat lamps in the girls coop all the time right now and it only gets to 40 degs.

I can't brood in the house because DH doesn't want the noise or the smell. Can't brood in the brooder coop, because I have a chick order going in there and I've still got to figure out how to keep that warm enough.

Thought about brooding in the crawl space next to the heater, but DH says it will smell. I'm afraid I'm going to have to tell DH to H**L with you, I'm brooding in the house.
somad.gif

Hmmm, sounds like a delima. Well....if it was me...in the new breeder coop...you can put cardboard walls up around the babies, and the light directly over them. This will help keep the heat in. Just watch them for signs of pileing ( being too cold..make the space smaller.) or panting....too hot, raise the lamp or make the space larger. I am going to be useing my hospital pen for babies...and will line the walls with cardboard...to keep the draft out, and heat in!

Wow, this is a great design, and I think I have everything I need for it. I did e-mail the guy and ask if it could be made smaller. His 4x4 brooder will do 150-250 chicks at a time. I only do 50 at a time. Hope he responses. I'll let you all know what I find out. You might need this some day
big_smile.png

in his book on raising chicks, (which, altho I do not have any actual baby chick experience, seems reaaly good to me, very detailed and helpful although he is not without Opinions) he discusses appropriate bulb wattage for hovers as small as 2x2, so I would assume that size is ok (he recommends it for up to 50 chicks).

Edited to add: if you do use it, I really wanna hear about it as I'm planning on using it this spring!

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom