Need design help for breeder coop

You do know that we will want to see lots of pictures!
big_smile.png

You should put a junction box with an outdoor approved ceramic or porcelain fixture attached.

We didn't in the first one, but decided it needed to be done for safety in all the others we built. We have built them with both light fixtures connected to one electrical cord, but I like the ones better that have two cords, one for each light fixture. It just gives me more options for heat as the chicks grow.

Since you build things all the time, you know you figure out what you should have done, just as you finish your project!!
We have several variations of everything we have built.

We have only used these on dirt floors so far.
You will need to check under the brooder daily, we don't put bedding under it anymore, the light is just so close to the ground. We have to fluff up the ground under it regularly. The chicks pack it down fast.
If using regular light bulbs, I don't worry, but the large size of the heat lamps put the bulbs really close to the bedding.

Also, if it is not raised up, (bricks or blocks under the legs) when you tilt it, make sure your chicks are not under the side opposite you are lifting, I choked a chick once, because the side wall will touch the ground!

I'd love to have a pulley system hooked to this so I could lift the whole thing up to change bulbs, fluff up the dirt, and just check on chicks. DH thinks that is a over-kill, but when we get our new brooder house built, I will have the roof strength to do this. That is if we can ever agree on the plans!!! LOL

Jean

Last edited:
Thanks, that is really good information. I did use the junction boxes, so I'm good. I worried about the heat. I'll only be using 125 watts, divided between two bulbs. I guess regular bulbs would work ok. The essay said to use flood lights for the lens strength. But they are still in a water proof insulated building so it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom