1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need DIY help making 5 Gallon bucket Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thegoldengirls, Feb 22, 2016.

1. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Has anyone successfully made one? I'd like to make one from a hanging bucket for chickens... something that will last a few days and stay clean.

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i don't have running water at one of my breeding barns and use the DIY 5g buckets, just drill the proper size hole for your nipples or cups, wrap 3 layers of Teflon tape over the nipple and thread it into the bucket, fill with water and enjoy.

3. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    I use the white 5 gallon buckets/lids from tractor supply. I didn't have much luck with teflon tape but smearing petroleum jelly or beeswax on the nipple threads before inserting made for no leaks.

I prefer using horizontal nipples rather than vertical. They waste less water and are less prone to freeze up in colder temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by