need duck shoes

Hi! So I’m not super knowledgeable 😂 but we had a similar situation... can I ask when this started? Like how old is he? Has it been a problem since he was little or when did the problem start?

I believe he is probably around 1 year. I think he is one I adopted. As far as I know it has only been a few weeks. I keep a watch on it to ensure it is not staying permanently under. If it is the one male I adopted, it could have been happening a lot longer as she had the ducks on a hillside. But it is only recently that I noticed so I think it just started, as I have one with pigeon feet and a male with bumblefoot so I monitor the ducks feet often.

Can you cut a piece of plastic from something and tape it to the foot. You may need to adhere a piece of felt or sand paper to the bottom of the plastic with glue to add some traction. You don't the your duck doing the splits and causing more problems. Another option might be a splint of sorts made from shims or popsicle sticks and some tape. A wrap of gauze may help with traction too.

Because it's foot/leg related and possible a joint issue I have to ask, are you providing niacin in the feed or as a supplement at all. Niacin deficiency is connected with all sorts of issues in ducks, especially with their legs.

I worry about trying to make a split of any kind as I don't want snow/ice to get stuck in it causing the foot to get cold. But it is an option I was considering if I could not get some shoes. :)

I do provide supplemental niacin once a month for the whole flock (31 ducks, 5 geese, 6 moscovy, then I have 44 chickens, 7 guineas, and 4 turkeys .... who all share water and feed) normally I would relocate to my front yard where I have a smaller pen to allow for shorter walking around to rest the feet and more of the niacin in water, or the brewer yeast in the feed. unfortunately it is too cold at this time for them to be in the front yard as the housing is just a wired dog crate. and while I do have another duck I could put out there, I worry about the temps when they drop to single digits. the wooden coops have heaters to help take the chill out, without over heating the coop. which has peg board sides.

It might be helpful to see a video of the duck trying to walk.

As suggested, there are various ways you can make your own foot bandage to straighten the foot out. Using a piece of plastic, or cardboard as the foot base, adding padding, then vet wrap to secure may work to help straighten out her toes. Alternatively, you can get duck shoes that can be custom made to fit your duck's feet, and will be easier to put on and off. Here is a link to a similar product:

http://www.partyfowlpets.com/shoes/duck-shoes
https://crazy-k-farm.myshopify.com/products/birdy-bootie-hand-made-in-the-usa

I will attempt to get a video. I have tried a couple times but it seems to be just fine or there were other ducks that would get in the way... thanks for the links.

I think any duck owner could with a little help from another human, and a lot of dedication.

Thank you. , I understand the concern. I have a duck who seems to get bumblefoot often (Mr. Bumble) I treat his foot and wrap it as needed. The reason for the shoe/wrap is to prevent the foot from folding under and possibly causing more damage. But being in snowy cold NY I worry about getting ice/snow trapped in a wrap and causing his foot to get cold and not able to warm it up. (I leave at 6am and get home around 4pm) I don't have room in my dinning room for another house duck (I have a blind Pekin and a handicap mallard. Neither would survive outside in the cold.) A vet visit is on my list.

I believe he is probably around 1 year. I think he is one I adopted. As far as I know it has only been a few weeks. I keep a watch on it to ensure it is not staying permanently under. If it is the one male I adopted, it could have been happening a lot longer as she had the ducks on a hillside. But it is only recently that I noticed so I think it just started, as I have one with pigeon feet and a male with bumblefoot so I monitor the ducks feet often.
Awe that’s cute... the ducks we had appeared to have a genetic problem that made their legs fold up not long after we got them... I hope your duck gets to feeling better soon! 😉

Awe that’s cute... the ducks we had appeared to have a genetic problem that made their legs fold up not long after we got them... I hope your duck gets to feeling better soon! 😉
I have been trying to figure out which one he is, so I can get a video...but he seems to be walking fine right now. lol but I watch for him daily.

I will attempt to get a video. I have tried a couple times but it seems to be just fine or there were other ducks that would get in the way... thanks for the links.
MY apologies, I have not forgotten that I want a video, but my duck is playing shy and I cannot figure out which one he is....seems his foot is working better. I will continue to monitor all the feet (I have 20 pekins) and if his issue continues, I will get a video. thank you everyone.

Back
Top Bottom