Need emu incubation advice!

edvnzx

Hatching
May 7, 2019
I am currently hatching out 3 emu eggs. The first one started incubation on 3/28, the second on 3/31, and the third on 4/14. I have slowly been weighing them whenever I get the chance but I am unsure of the formula of weight loss on emu eggs. I currently have them in the chicken egg incubator (they fit perfectly just concerned about when they hatch if they will have enough room). I have kept the temperature between 94-97.5 and I keep the humidity at 35% and then let it slowly fall down to 25% before boosting it back up to 35%. I have brought out the first egg multiple times to whistle and tap on it. We think we have seen it wiggle on a couple of occasions. When do the eggs usually show more prominent wiggling and whistling? Are there other ways to check if they are fertile? What is the equation of weight loss as well?

1) It seems to be around Day 35 that you'll start seeing wobbling, thought I know Pyxis has seen it as early as Day 28. 35 is the rough guideline for noticeable movement I believe though sometimes they don't even move (I'm incubating 2 and 1 moved on Day 38, now on 46 and it hasn't moved since, but it could still be good, as could one which hasn't been caught moving).

2) Leaving them out of the incubator for a 5-10 minute interval and feeling both ends, you should find a noticeable temperature difference between the "pointier" end and the "blunter" end of the egg - the former being warmer as this is where the bird develops and keeps the heat at this end. This can also be healthy for them due to so much oxygen exposure and can even encourage wiggling (both of my wiggles have come in warm up after this, or during cooldown.

3) Some useful equations, I have been using an Excel spreadsheet to easily collaborate data and do all the calculations for me

Weight Lost
Starting Weight - Current Weight

Current % Weight Loss
Weight Lost / Starting Weight

Predicted % Weight Loss (From the above data)
Current % Weight Loss * (Expected Hatch Day / Current Day)

Final Weight Loss (What it should have lost by Day 52 or so)
0.15 * Starting Weight (Finds 15%)

Update: The oldest is very active once I let it sit out for about 5 minutes. I whistled to it and it started tapping on the egg! The second oldest started to wiggle as well. The oldest should hatch around the end of the week. I am unsure of what do feed them once the hatch. Any ideas?

Its day 55 for the oldest egg. Last night it was moving like crazy in the incubator. Do I need to increase the humidity? What's the latest they can hatch?

Well, they both hatched! They're both doing great! The last egg should hatch next week!

Back
Top Bottom