Need experienced geese opinions! =)

Quote:
That's interesting! How are they unrelated to all other geese breeds - even Africans? (Bear in mind I have almost no understanding of genetics)

Yeah, I'd much rather start with babies. That's the most fun anyway!

I went to CottageRose's website and read all her information on there.
Definetly lots of good information on there.
Do you guys have some pictures of your pilgrims?

Pilgrims, American Buffs or Sebastopols would be a good choice.
Best wishes and I'm sure you will love them.
smile.png

Just make sure to purchase day old goslings so they bond to you.

I also raise Tufted Romans, which are very similar to Pilgrims in behavior. AMAZING parents, generally docile and quiet, amusing but not overbearing. They are smaller than the Pilgrims, more like Chinese in size. Not chattery at all.

The Emdens are massive, especially the ones I got from Holderread. All my "pet" geese are Emdens, those which want to sit on my lap. At the same time, though, they can rip through a bag of chicken feed in no time if I leave the barn door open. I've witnessed them run off with screwdrivers from my workshop. They "play" all day, are constanlty chattering, gigglign and teasing. They can be a bit much until you understand geese.

Grayfields those Embdens sound cool!
Classic, goofy/naughty geese it sounds like.
I saw some at the national show a couple
years ago.
They were pert-near big enough to saddle and ride.
wink.png

Can you post pics of yours?

Last edited:
I got two 7 yr old geese last Feb, a Toulouse and an Embden, thinking I'd gotten a pair of Pilgrims until they both laid eggs and sat on them so I ordered four American Buff goslings to arrive the day the infertile goose eggs were due to hatch.

May 15, 2008 I put the girls out, barricaded their door, threw away the rotten eggs and put the goslings in the nest. The girls thought their eggs hatched and now we've got a happy family of six! They just don't want to share their living space w/any ducks or chickens.

I've got them in a small barn and surrounded by chain link fence, the ground is covered w/two dump truck loads of sand in summer.

They've never shown any mean streak at all, none of the six, including when the goslings were in a small coop w/the "mama's" - I could be in there w/them right next to them:) They grew fast, seemed full sized in 2-3 months!

When would my Am Buff's become s...mature? I call them my yearlings- what would the proper term be?

I call mine yearlings, too.

Geese are seasonal layers, so your guys will start laying for their first spring. The fertility rate and number of eggs slowly goes up until they're three years old. Roughly 3-5 years are the peak egg production for geese, then it will start tapering off. After that geese can continue laying well into 15-20 years of age.

Today I went to a flea market in my area, and a guy had a pair of Pilgrims for $80. I didn't buy them, but It made me want geese even more. They were so sweet and made quiet honking noises. The guy also had a pair of Romans and Africans, even those seemed frindly. I'm so excited to get geese now! after reading Omniskies informatin page, I'd be too paranoid to buy from anyone else. Lol.

I've decided that I'll get a pair of American Buffs and a pair of Pilgrims for sure. The Sebbies are a bit expensive for me right now. If I can get the money, I'd get a pair of those as well.
Is it too late for me to order with Holderreads?
Do I have to pay in advance or pay when they are ready?

Sorry for all the questions lol.

I just have to put my 2 cents in. I have had many breeds of ducks, But I am only raising one breed of geese, Sebastopol geese, and they are as sweet as they come! Very dog like if you treat them gently and give some space. They need an area to graze, and interaction from humans, and some treats and a structured life...
By that, I mean they will look to you as THEIR ALPHA to feed, water and put them in a safe area both day and in at night .I have never been bitten,nor have any of my guests. They only hiss in breeding season,( which is a big show of strength)! They are good parents, and I enjoy owning them.

Back
Top Bottom