Need feed with probiotics, now pooping brown

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jae, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Jae

Jae In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2018
    I was feeding my chicks 24 protein starter for a week. Then I learned 24 will grow them too quickly for being egg layers and to feed them 18 to 20 instead.
    So at the 1 week mark they were 2 weeks old, I started a lower starter feed. This one has probiotics unlike the other feed.
    It has been 4 days since the switch. One or more of my chicks is now pooping brown poop, I read the C poo is normal. Forgetting name, sorry.
    But they were not doing this on the old food, they are indoor only and this is new. Holy wow it stinks. Which o read is also normal but I read this C poop is from birds eating woodsy foods.
    Mine are only on chick starter.
    What is happening here!? Anyone care to educate me a bit? Appreciate it. Thank you

2. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    The probiotics might be what is making it smell more than the old stuff. Did you do a gradual switch? Not just one day having on food and another the next?

3. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    As she said, if new food is switched over too fast it usually causes stomach problems with most animals.

FeatherMtnFarms likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the feed itself a different color?
    Cecal poops happen regardless of feed.
    As long as they are eating-drinking-pooping and active don't worry too much about poop color.
    There's very wide range of 'normal' poops.
    If you see something that concerns you, take pic of it with a coin in the pic for scale.

Good visual references for all kinds of poops,
    just don't jump to any terrible conclusions too quickly:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: